Well I never would have imagined that this was that hard to find. But does anyone know how you would make a USB keyboard work on an old computer that only has ps/2 keyboard and mouse ports?

I got the mouse to work with a USB to PS/2 converter that came in the box, but I can't seem to make the keyboard work? Why is it that the same coverter for the mouse does not work for the keyboard?

Thanks for any help in advance!

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

Just a guess, but it could have something to do with the particular model of keyboard you have; it isn't as though USB keyboards in general don't work through a PS/2 converter.

Why not just buy a PS/2 keyboard? They're dirt-cheap.

Well as I was always taught in my A+ certification class, a keyboard is known as an FRU (field replaceable unit) which is a fancy name for, its cheap buy a new one/old one. Unless you want a fancy-pants infared keyboard you can buy one for under 20 bucks so just run down to your local walmart/radioshack and pick yourself up an old ps/2 keyboard they'll probably be hidden but look for them. Hope it helps
ShawnCplus

Unless you want a fancy-pants infared keyboard you can buy one for under 20 bucks...

Well under $20 at this point in time. Finding one is though, as you sad, the trick.

While cheap keyboards are available I never recommend them.
Cheap keyboards have short MTBF (thus increasing the cost over time of using them) and are uncomfortable (often to the point of being bad for your health) to use (causing RSI).

I used to replace my keyboard several times a year, they wore out that quickly.
Since buying a €100 Logitech almost 3 years ago I've not had to buy a single €20 keyboard, saving me so far well over the purchase price of that more expensive unit.

I have a PS/2 Keyboard. The issue is that the company wants to use the new USB keyboards on the workstations, but we have a bar code reader that requires a keyboard connected to it inorder to work. The problem is the Barcode reader connects to the a PS/2 only keyboard, and we want avoid buy new barcode readers.

Bung in a USB card. they're about as cheap as a cheap keyboard ;)

Well under $20 at this point in time. Finding one is though, as you sad, the trick.

The best part is when the jerkoff at CompUSA wants to sell you a $6.00 two year extend warranty on your brand new $9.00 (before rebate) keyboard.

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Well I never would have imagined that this was that hard to find. But does anyone know how you would make a USB keyboard work on an old computer that only has ps/2 keyboard and mouse ports?

I got the mouse to work with a USB to PS/2 converter that came in the box, but I can't seem to make the keyboard work? Why is it that the same coverter for the mouse does not work for the keyboard?

use this thing its an adapter for usb keyboards to work on ps2 ports its like $6
http://sewelldirect.com/ps2tousb.asp

I think this one got solved last year ;)

Here's your answer... http://www.datapro.net/products/UX2.html
Adapters from DataPro to use a USB keyboard or USB mouse in a legacy PS2 system.

Cheers,:)
Van

An adapter only works if the keyboard is ps/2 compatible.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.