A friend of mine just purchased a brand-new Dell computer with an HP 1012 Laserjet printer. The printer installs with no problems, but only prints a blank page. I have tried all of the drivers on the printer CD to no avail. He somehow ended up installing 3 copies of the printer (when the first installation only printed a blank page, he tried installing again and again); now, one of the copies of the printer is permanently stuck in a "deleting" state with a full queue.
Two questions:
1) Could it possibly be the printer cartridge that is bad, rather than the printer?
2) How can I delete the one installation of the printer that is stuck in a state of being deleted?
Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Recommended Answers

All 19 Replies

hey, i have the same problem. My HP printer Photosmart 7550 and My HP PSC 2170 (both pretty much new) only print out blank pages. I have XP pro and have tried numerous times uninstalling and reintalling the drivers and same with the usb drivers. Any luck with printing? I heard something out the IRQ settings and the input/output range that needs to be changed but nothing else.

I ended up calling HP support, and they informed me that it was actually a bad laser component in the printer itself. They instructed my friend to return the printer and get a replacement. I haven't heard anything since then. Have you contacted the support line to see if they can help you troubleshoot? Seems odd that both of your printers would have bad components, but maybe product-specific technical support would be able to better assist you with troubleshooting and resetting IRQ settings if necessary. Hope this helps you. Good luck!

It almost sounds like a shipping tape on the fuser that is supposed to be removed before operation.

Have you pulled the toner cartridge out and checked it..

Mismajor...
Unplug your printer from the PC...

Hold the paper feed button down and turn on the power.
The printer should do a self test when you let the button go.

This will tell you if the problem is in the printer or the PC/driver.

I could not find anything in the 7760 manual about doing this but I think it works for most printers.

i ran a self test on the printer and it prints fine but will not print a test page or anything from windows. I am almost positive it has something to do with the dot4 printer port that is installed on my pc. I reinstalled all usb ports and printers a few times, including in safe mode and normal startup. Someone told me on another forum to change the settings for the IRQ and I/O range but i will have to try that when i get home. These printers worked perfectly until SP2 for XP came out. What a drag. I bet a simple change to the registry would do the trick but HP and Microsoft have no clue as to what the problem is. I have tried this on different motherboards too including the K8V-Deleuxe and the K8N-E deluxe all with the same problem. Currently i have an Asus k8v-deluxe SE. I haven't changed anything in my bios that would raise any concerns but i am starting to suspect there might be something i need to change in the bios, something perhaps in the plug and play settings where system resources are managed.

This has also happened to me. I have an HP PSC2210 that worked fine on an old computer. I recently purchased an Asus motherboard in a new system.
My printer is spitting out blank pages. The HP tool box software prints a test page fine. It does copies just fine. I can even scan an image and see it.
I have installed the latest usb2 driver from Microsoft and updated the VIA 4in1 drivers. Installed, unistalled the printer. Used the HP clean out program to completely uninstall all printers. Nothing worked so far.
There is some communication problem somewhere, but I am stuck :rolleyes:

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

i am starting to think it's a bios issue. I recently flashed to a new version for my asus k8v, but still nothing.I wonder if there is something in the bios that needs to be tinkered with.

We need a software engineer to help us with this one folks.

It is not a BIOS problem it is a MS XP SP2 problem.
Since I had a bit of spare time over the 4th of July weekend, I decided to take an old MS SP upgrade disk that was prior to SP2 (service pack 2) and use the repair feature after booting up from the disk.
Once I restarted XP in pre-SP2 mode the printer worked fine.
BINGO :eek:
The problem lies somewhere in the SP2 upgrade.
I have tried everything else and this is the only thing that worked;
bios flashed, VIA 4-in-1 driver update, usb update, printer uninstall/re-install
The only thing that has worked is taking a step back from MS SP2.
I have e-mailed HP Tech support and they sent a blurb about "keeping a watch on the website for updates as they are working hand-in-hand with MS to resolve any SP2 conflicts they may have.... yada yada yada...
So if you are having this problem, sorry.
Will keep a watch on HP to see if a patch becomes available. Someone with more gumption than myself may be able to figure out which specific file is causing the problem, then we only need to replace that one file.
Take care all and may God bless. :!:
Drcomic

Hello everybody. Try this

go to the printer properties by right clicking the printer icon on Printer & Faxes.

Go to Advanced Options and select the option that reads Print Directly to the Printer.

It worked for me :p . the rpinter was not rpinting from Word and other programs but was printing test pages ok and the ink cartridges are new.

Ok peeps, here is what i have found after 48 hours of work on my brothers pc that i built him.

Yes it is SP2.
I have uninstalled and reinstalled xp 4 times this weekend alone. Does anyone have a 64 bit athlon?
Does anyone have a 64 bit athlon and use Pinnacle.
Did you have to go into Microsofts DEP (Data Encyption Protection) settings to turn it to Software only.
If you have a 64 bit athlon then you should leave your settings to Hardware mode (only uses DEP to watch Windows Components). Your printer will work fine.
If you dont then you can only use software mode. This is where the issue lies. I have done the whole HP chat thing. "you have a corrupted driver file"?
On 4 different installs from either the cd or the web download???? COME ON.
I can do anything print wise i need to do until i turn on software mode for DEP. I have to do this because pinnacle has issues with it. You have to change to software mode and select pinnacle as an exclusion. Once I do this all print stops and Pinnacle works. If i go back to hardware mode, printing resums. I have not tried RamiroS's solution yet, but i will get back to you folks with it. :evil:

Loupe

I have a 64 bit Athlon running Windows XP Home and SP2.

Printing has not worked since Windows Update performed an update last week.

I reset Windows DEP to be for Windows programs only and printing became possible again.

What type of printer do you have?

I have a 64 bit Athlon running Windows XP Home and SP2.

Printing has not worked since Windows Update performed an update last week.

I reset Windows DEP to be for Windows programs only and printing became possible again.

Fixed finally, thanks to the help of everyone here at Daniweb.com.

I changed the data execution prevention to "windows programs and services only" and what do ya know, it printed for the first time in a long time. You would think something so simple (which is always the case) Hp would have a hold on something like that.

Fixed finally, thanks to the help of everyone here at Daniweb.com.

I changed the data execution prevention to "windows programs and services only" and what do ya know, it printed for the first time in a long time. You would think something so simple (which is always the case) Hp would have a hold on something like that.

I have one user. She cannot print attchments of word documents. When she click print preview, the doc is blank and actually it is not blank.....

But she can print ok from word directly. She has a local HP 1320 printer.

A friend of mine just purchased a brand-new Dell computer with an HP 1012 Laserjet printer. The printer installs with no problems, but only prints a blank page. I have tried all of the drivers on the printer CD to no avail. He somehow ended up installing 3 copies of the printer (when the first installation only printed a blank page, he tried installing again and again); now, one of the copies of the printer is permanently stuck in a "deleting" state with a full queue.
Two questions:
1) Could it possibly be the printer cartridge that is bad, rather than the printer?
2) How can I delete the one installation of the printer that is stuck in a state of being deleted?
Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Hey, This is what worked for me a while back with the same isssues. Make sure to uninstall all versions of the printer and reinstall one version. First off with the "Deleting state" problem, when you start the PC goto > Start > Run > and type "services.msc" . Find the service "Printer Spooler" and right click it. Goto Properties. Under "service status" click stop. Restart the PC and that should clear the problem up.

As far as printing blank pages, right click "my computer" and select "Properties". Goto the "Advanced" tab, and under the performance section , click the "Settings" button. Next, goto the "data execution prevention" tab and make sure the option for "windows programs and services only" button is selected. This did it for me.

Hey, This is what worked for me a while back with the same isssues. Make sure to uninstall all versions of the printer and reinstall one version. First off with the "Deleting state" problem, when you start the PC goto > Start > Run > and type "services.msc" . Find the service "Printer Spooler" and right click it. Goto Properties. Under "service status" click stop. Restart the PC and that should clear the problem up.

As far as printing blank pages, right click "my computer" and select "Properties". Goto the "Advanced" tab, and under the performance section , click the "Settings" button. Next, goto the "data execution prevention" tab and make sure the option for "windows programs and services only" button is selected. This did it for me.

I just went through exactly the same problem with my HP PSC 2210. Your solution didn't quite work for me...I had to take it one step further by altering the boot.ini file to turn off DEP completely. To do so, I went to my computer>properties>Advanced Tab>Startup and Recovery Settings. Then I clicked the edit button next to "Edit the startup options file manually" option. I went to the end of the text string and changed the "OptIn" to "AlwaysOff". Now it works like a charm...I just hope I'm not sorry I turned off DEP.

I'm no computer expert, I just did a google search for DEP and found the following - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875352

Hope this helps...

I tried the solution offered by RamiroS...it works.

I found that the mechanism of the problem was that that Windows 2K would pass any color but black to the printer, so I could print dark blue, but not black. As most wordprocessor docs are in black, they came out as blanks. The weird bit is that Netscape and Quattro print normally, WordPerfect amd MSword malfunction.

I have a Canon i860 printer with Win2K.

What is the downside of printing directly to the printer?

Paul Simison..

Have Windows XP and had same problem with HP Photosmart 7550 Printer printing blank pages only. Found a fix which worked for me....
I uninstalled all HP Printers and associated files that were installed for the HP Printers as well as the DOT4 files in the "Ports" Listings that corresponded with the HP USD Ports.
I TURNED OFF DATA EXECUTION PREVENTION FOR ALL PROGRAMS AND SERVICES found under MY COMPUTER (then Right Click) > PROPERTIES > ADVANCED > PERFORMANCE > SETTINGS > DATA EXECUTION PREVENTION by clicking the Radio Button "TURN ON DEP FOR ESSENTIAL WINDOWS PROGRAMS AND SERVICES ONLY". DISCONNECTED AND POWERED OFF the HP Printers and RESTARTED the computer. Used "ORIGINAL" Installation Disks NOT LETTING Windows XP "see" the printers automatically. Followed disk installation and connected printers when prompted.
Hope it works for you... it did for me!!! Note: I DID NOT TRY changing the DATA EXECUTION PREVENTION Radio Button back to TURN ON DEP FOR ALL PROGRAMS AND SERVICES EXCEPT THOSE I SELECT. If you do, let me know if the printer still prints.

Hello,
hp 1012 driver and the latest versions of software can be downloaded from the link connection. Easy come

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.