So I bought a rosewill 2-port USB 3.0 superspeed PCIe card and a mybook usb 3.0 WD hard drive and got all of them installed today and I am not having the transfer speeds that everyone claims you get. I hooked up the add-in card and plugged it into my power supply and booted up and installed all the necessary drivers for the drive to work. Then I plugged in my usb 3.0 external and updated the firmware on that to the latest version. I am still only getting about 45mbs on transfer. Everyone else is claiming about 127mbs on transfers.

If there something I need to do to increase my file transfer speed?

Thanks,
Brian

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

So I bought a rosewill 2-port USB 3.0 superspeed PCIe card and a mybook usb 3.0 WD hard drive and got all of them installed today and I am not having the transfer speeds that everyone claims you get. I hooked up the add-in card and plugged it into my power supply and booted up and installed all the necessary drivers for the drive to work. Then I plugged in my usb 3.0 external and updated the firmware on that to the latest version. I am still only getting about 45mbs on transfer. Everyone else is claiming about 127mbs on transfers.

If there something I need to do to increase my file transfer speed?

Thanks,
Brian

It sounds like you have done every logical thing that comes to mind. Remember, what a drive, card, etc. claims in performance and what real life, actual performance you get can me surprisingly different. Often the real life performance is worse than claimed specs. I have seen too many people make similar comments about disappointingly slow USB 3.0 speeds on different makes/models. It is a relatively new technology so chances are the drivers are not yet that optimized.

Typically, the main variables in this scenario that would effect your drive's performance would be:
- Hard drive make/model and its firmware.
- Add-in card in use and its drivers.
- Motherboard in use and its BIOS version (check for an update if it is newer than 2 years old)
- Operating System (and service pack) in use.
- Type and size of data being copied and the source drive.
- Other background processes/services running in the background (overall system load)
- Any type of security programs in use that could hinder the performance.

A bit off-base: make sure your system is also powerful enough to satisfy 'recommended' HW configuration. Also your PSU should be powerful enough to handle the load +25% more load at least!

Hope this helps.

Well you did mention a few things that I will check into. I know my drive has the latest firmware downloaded right from the WD website (yesterday). I have the latest drivers and I am running vista 64bit SP2 and just ran some updates a few days ago. I will look into my BIOS version and see if that supports the 3.0 speed and any other issues that could be hindering its performance. I dont think its my computers processing speed, I believe my computer is fairly fast, but I could be wrong(8gb RAM and 3.4ghx4 processor. I have never seen my processor or ram tapped out or even over 50% using the task manager.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.