HP 2420d - quite an old b/w laser.

It has recently started printing "echoes" and, more markedly, lines across the page every 40mm or so.

My suspicion is the new printer cartridge which I installed shortly before I started noticing this problem. Sadly I had already thrown the old one out, so I can't pop it back in to compare. That's pretty annoying as it was quite OK, but I had been getting a message to "Replace Toner" for quite a while and I imagined that prints were getting less intense (so I changed it as a precaution).

Does anyone have details on exactly what and how to clean the printer (if this is what's needed) ?

Regards

Graham

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Was this a new, or was it a reconditioned (reloaded) cartridge?

Was this a new, or was it a reconditioned (reloaded) cartridge?

I believe that it was new. However, I bought it off a private seller on eBay. The box and bag had been opened, but the tear-off strip with green tab was still in place.

Regards

Graham

Well now I'm really not happy :angry:

I read online that regular markings every 38mm were related to the toner cartridge and it would need replacing.

I decided to bite the bullet and go to the high street and buy a "definitely genuine new unused" cartridge (at full retail price).

And guess what ? Yes, you guessed it, the problem is still there !

In fact it's getting worse. I can now see two separate sets of lines, each repeating every 40mm or so (and "offset" to each other by about 20mm). One set is sharp (covering about a third of the width of the page) and the other set more nebuous (but covering almost the entire width of the page).

Please, I'm desperate. How do I fix this ?

Regards

Graham

Call up HP and tell them the problem you have.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.