Im planning an HTPC build using the ASUS AT3IONT-I motherboard. I would like to use the Silverstone MILO ML03B case. The issue I'm seeing so far is that the case comes with 2 USB 3.0 front headers, and the mother board doesn't have an onboard USB 3.0 header connection. I know Silverstone (and I'm sure other manufacturers) have a PCI-E x1 card with a USB 3.0 header on it, but those wont work with that motherboard either for two reasons:
1) The motherboard only has one PCI-E expansion slot, with which, I was planning to use a TV tuner card...
2) The PCI-E cards that silverstone offers use a molex power connector, which I wont have one available, as the motherboard can only support 3 sata components with it's included power 'string' that plugs directly into the motherboard itself.

So, my question then is this:
Is there an internal USB 3.0 header adapter that swaps 3.0 to 2.0? I know this sounds like a bad idea, as I would be sacrificing performance, but without it, I would have no front USB.
Or, even a female USB 3.0 header adapter that converts into male USB A connectors? If I had something like this, then I could at least run them through to the back of the case, and still utilize the front panel USBs.

Any tips, ideas, suggestions??

Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

hi,why not just update to motherboard with the correct usb3 connections

edit ,i just google the motherboard and see an very small, sff, anyway ,iv google as you likely already did and i don't see any usb2 to 3 converters

all i see is the pci-e devices

Thanks for trying. I was able to find an adapter on eBay. One side is a USB 3.0 header, and the other side is a USB 3.0 A, so I just used a USB A to USB A extension, and I was able to route that through the case, and into the back of the I/O and I plugged it in to a USB 2.0 port. This essentially makes the front USB 3.0 work as only 2.0, but at least I am able to utilize them now. The adapter was only a few dollars:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/370543581319?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_1472wt_1140
Thanks again for trying.

Thanks for trying. I was able to find an adapter on eBay. One side is a USB 3.0 header, and the other side is a USB 3.0 A, so I just used a USB A to USB A extension, and I was able to route that through the case, and into the back of the I/O and I plugged it in to a USB 2.0 port. This essentially makes the front USB 3.0 work as only 2.0, but at least I am able to utilize them now. The adapter was only a few dollars:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/370543581319?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_1472wt_1140
Thanks again for trying.

yeah,did see those in my search, your welcome and good luck with the micro
SFF computer

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.