Hello,

I can tether from my smartphone to my laptop via both hot spot and usb cable which is helpful when there is no other option, thought it is not not so fast.

The thing is that I fix relatives' and friends' computers now and then, usually desktops with out wifi capabilities. I do not have a cable long enough to reach my room from where the modem is located. A reasonable solution can be to get a usb receiver but I'm curious to know, is there a way to tether wifi from my laptop to a desktop just like I tether from my phone to my laptop?

I just thought, also, anyone knows a way to tether from a phone to a computer via usb BUT basically resending my houses signal through USB instead of my own phone's 3G?

Thank you!

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Hello,

I can tether from my smartphone to my laptop via both hot spot and usb cable which is helpful when there is no other option, thought it is not not so fast.

The thing is that I fix relatives' and friends' computers now and then, usually desktops with out wifi capabilities. I do not have a cable long enough to reach my room from where the modem is located. A reasonable solution can be to get a usb receiver but I'm curious to know, is there a way to tether wifi from my laptop to a desktop just like I tether from my phone to my laptop?

I just thought, also, anyone knows a way to tether from a phone to a computer via usb BUT basically resending my houses signal through USB instead of my own phone's 3G?

Thank you!

Not sure I understood your question completely, but maybe you want to consider buying one of these?
http://compnetworking.about.com/od/hardwarenetworkgear/ss/wirelessadapter_3.htm
I used to have one of these (not the exact same model, but using the same idea), and worked pretty well. The speed was not that great, but for using from time to time, it's ok.

You should be able to tether to a desktop with the phone, just like your laptop. Plug it in to a USB port on the desktop and enable the tethering feature. The desktop should recognize it as a USB broadband modem, and install the correct drivers (Windows), or just work (Linux/Mac - PPP USB modem). I do this with my Linux desktop workstation for situations when the DSL connection is down.

[snipped] does anyone actually read title and question before answering???

He suggests using his laptop to 'stream' internet to his desktop, because the desktop doesn't have an option to connect to the web. Now, what I suggested is not an answer to that question, but I suggest an alternative method. Nothing wrong with that, I think?
Of course, feel free to create a solution to the problem in your own way :)

As for "tethering" the desktop to the laptop, you can configure the laptop to do routing for the desktop. In effect, it becomes the router, and optionally a dhcp server. It's quite simple for Linux, and I know it can also be done for Windows, but I have not done it myself. My brother-in-law did that once when were were at his parent's house for Christmas one year, so we could all access the Internet via one laptop that had a broadband modem attached. All the computers were networked via a WiFi access point.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.