For the past couple days, sometimes when I click on something it acts like I double clicked. It doesn't happen all the time, just enough to be annoying.

I searched the forum and only found one other thread where someone had this problem, but there was no resolution posted there.

It's probably time to get a new mouse, but I guess I'm hoping maybe there is something I can try to fix it first. I'd rather not have to get rid of it as it's a comfortable mouse and it matches the keyboard.

I checked all the mouse settings and they are okay.

I'd love to hear any ideas.

Recommended Answers

All 51 Replies

Have you tried cleaning your mouse?

I think i have to do that soon,some Issues with that myself (Or left clicking and nothing happens)

Good luck :)

How do I clean it? I can't take off the bottom because it's optical.

my mouse is recently ding wierd things too, like randomly swapping the L and R buttons

That's a lot weirder than my problem :)

yeah, the L / R switching is annoying as yu go do double click a desktop icon and properties comes up :( - can be fixeed in some cases if i hold down both bttons at once for a few secs

In relation to the original post, check the accesability options to make sure you havent accidently enabled auto doubleclick or something

Nope. That's wasn't it. I am downloading a new driver for it now. Doubt it'll fix it, but it's worth a shot. It's five years newer than the driver I'm using now.

when you move the mouse, do you do it roughly so it taps?
ive found some mice click if you bang them against the desk when moving them

Well, I installed the new driver - 3 hours and about 1000 blue screens later my pc works again.

When I rebooted during driver installation, I kept getting blue screens and could only get into safe mode. Tried tons of stuff to fix it thinking it was the mouse driver.

Turns out it was my sound card and it must have been a coincidence that it happened when I rebooted for the mouse problem, considering I only reboot about once every couple weeks.

After all that, I'm thinking this double click thing isn't so bad :p

jbennet - no I don't tap it. I did find another mouse here so if it gets too bad, I'll switch to that one. Still open to ideas on this one, though. - non driver related ;)

is it ps2 or usb?

i bent the pins on a ps2 mouse before and it made the x axis not work

It's ps2. I wouldn't be surprised if something physical happened to it as my son has knocked my pc over on more than one occasion. He seems to think it's his own personal jungle gym..

:) how old is he?

He's 19 months. Keeps me on my toes :)

does the mouse have any bends/chews in the cable?
i had a floppy cable that refused to format disks before as it was bent

How do I clean it? I can't take off the bottom because it's optical.

There should be screws to take the bottom off (Mine has 4 screws on the bottom)

I checked the cable and it seems to be okay.

I do see a screw in the bottom. Can't believe I didn't notice it before.

I'll try to clean it after classes today post back. Thanks :)

Good luck with it :)

Update: I haven't taken it apart yet because the double-clicking seems to have magically stopped. I am going to wait till it does it again before I mess with it.

Had exactly the same problem yesterday & this morning: mouse consistently clicked 2x every time I tried to click one time only (gets really irritating.)

After reading these posts, I went ahead and switched to another mouse (luckily my hubby just happens to have a few extra lying around.)

Voilà - no more problem.

So - I guess it's a hardware thing. I'm still curious as to what causes this, though. If any brainiac type would like to give an explanation or post a link to details, it will be appreciated. I'm sure we're not the only onces with this problem.

If it makes any difference: it's a usb mouse, optical, from Dell, says "M/N: M-UVDEL1" ("M/N"=model number?) underneath.

In the meantime, I'll keep looking around the net for a clue.

:o)

Have a great day!

Welcome to Daniweb!

Im glad your issue was corrected so easily :)

Take care

For the past couple days, sometimes when I click on something it acts like I double clicked. It doesn't happen all the time, just enough to be annoying.

I searched the forum and only found one other thread where someone had this problem, but there was no resolution posted there.

It's probably time to get a new mouse, but I guess I'm hoping maybe there is something I can try to fix it first. I'd rather not have to get rid of it as it's a comfortable mouse and it matches the keyboard.

I checked all the mouse settings and they are okay.

I'd love to hear any ideas.

:cry: I am having the same problem. The mouse is only a couple months old. I contacted the manufacturer, and they said for $6 I could return the mouse, and they'd have a replacement to me in a minimum of three weeks. Hardly satisfactory. They also want the receipt, which i don't have. Has anyone found another way to resolve this double click response problem?

Same problem here. Razor diamondback mouse. From an ebay auction, "superficial damage, 100% functional", for 11$, so I was kind of asking for it. This moue has had a cable defect since I got it: When the cable is at a high angle to the mouse body length axis, the mouse loses connection. After about 1 month of use, this additional doubleclick problem emerged, I believe it started after I moved the mouse over to another computer at the other end of the room. (Cable gets slung around doing that, puts some pull force onto the cable attachment point on the mouse body)

So I suspect it's a hardware issue involving the cable.

By the way, this could be fixed in software, by making the driver interpret a doubleclick where the clicks are less than 50ms apart as a single click. Does such a driver exist? Perhaps there's an open-source mouse driver with easy to understand source code somewhere that I can try to modify? :)

there is some limited anti - doubleclicking built into windows (theres an option called "detect accidental doubleclicks" under TweakUI)

Hi guys, I know that this topic is old, but as I was experiencing the same problem (with the same Hardware (Dell Optical USB Mouse). I think I have discovered the problem.

I decided (as I always do when things are out of warranty) to open the mouse (which I've done many times with other mice), and see what's going on, as I was pretty sure it was due to a physical problem, perhaps dirt or something got under the button (where the click is). Several attempts of bending slightly (as to not break it) the left mouse button to be closer/further away from the clicker (on the mouse's circuit board), I think finally the problem has gone away.

Basically, the problem is (I believe) due to the fact that mouses are made of plastic and there are certain games (zuma, big money, jewel quest, chuzzle deluxe and other such games where the user ends up clicking a LOT!) that overuse the mouse, and well, the left mouse button's plastic gets worn down a bit (or rather, bent out of shape).

Solution: Open the mouse (unscrew the screw(s) underneath it and take the buttons out and push the left around to make them the same height. Put the mouse back together again.

This must be the only solution, as my mouse was working fine without the buttons etc, just pressing the clicker on the circuit board, and not with the plastic buttons.

Well, I hope this helps anyone who searched for this topic and ended up here like I did!

Over the last few days my mouse has started to have a mind of its own. Double clicking most things I try to single click. EXTREMELY annoying. I have numerous mice layin around, both new and used. I replaced the mouse with a used one then a brand new one. The double click issue persisted. I took the original mouse and hooked it up to a different computer, no double click issue... The computer that the mouse was originally connected to is the only machine I have running any microsoft software. Vista Business 64 bit... After 3 days of attempting to identify the underlying issue, I started searching forums. Came across this one, and figured I'd share my frustration. Even though this is an old thread, perhaps my input will help someone down the line. I have yet to figure out what this issue is. I looked into the TweakUI for Vista and was disapointed to find that the double-click prevention is no longer a supported tweak. For now I will just deal with it until I figure it out, which will be priority #1 because this is getting very annoying.

i've had this problem before and a format and reinstall of windows fixed the problem.

a year later i'm having the problem start again. it'[s either quick time updating that did or windows vista sp 2.

unfortunately i am using an upgrade version of windows and don't have my original disks for the old copy of xp anymore. so i can't simply reformat and reinstall. anyone know a fix to this?

i've had this problem before and a format and reinstall of windows fixed the problem.

Format and Reinstall is not a solution. You did not fix the problem, you just hid it for a while.

I have been working on this non-stop since I posted, so as soon as I have a solution -- you will too. I fixed it once before, just forget what I did.

Format and Reinstall is not a solution. You did not fix the problem, you just hid it for a while.

I have been working on this non-stop since I posted, so as soon as I have a solution -- you will too. I fixed it once before, just forget what I did.

i agree it's no real fix.

everywhere i've looked people don't know what the fix is, or mistakenly believe it's a hardware issue.

I have read that this issue could be virus related i have had this problem and it went away without me doing anything.the problem was on a whole different computer setup.But now i have a different pc it has emerged again once again different computer different mouse.

In tools|folder options there is an option to open files with one click vs with double click. You can check that setting; a buffer may have gotten overrun and changed the setting or you could have done it inadvertently.

What drivers are you you using? have you made any driver changes recently?

Also, see this MSDN KB article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/266738

Maybe try uninstalling the mouse from the device manager and let it reinstall.

Is it PS/2 or USB? I'm not sure how PS/2 mice work, but if you have a meter you might check for continuity between pins when you click and see if it's firing twice per press (hardware problem) or not (software/driver problem)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.