Most people buy netbook is for the portability it offered. But when we at home, the portability of netbook seems hardly to be useful. You used to sit in front of your desktop or notebook and the netbook is put in the corner somewhere. Actually, there are someways in which you could put your netbook to good use. First, it can be used as a Photo / Video Assistant and carry it along with your Digital Camera or Camcoder. Second, you can use your netbook as your Tour Guide and Traveling researcher. Your netbook is can also be a good Laptop Tray which can work good between your lap and your laptop. At last, you can also use netbook as a portable music system. So, let's make our netbooks work at home!

Recommended Answers

All 36 Replies

Yup i agreed with the use of netbook.

Most people buy netbook is for the portability it offered. But when we at home, the portability of netbook seems hardly to be useful. You used to sit in front of your desktop or notebook and the netbook is put in the corner somewhere. Actually, there are someways in which you could put your netbook to good use. First, it can be used as a Photo / Video Assistant and carry it along with your Digital Camera or Camcoder. Second, you can use your netbook as your Tour Guide and Traveling researcher. Your netbook is can also be a good Laptop Tray which can work good between your lap and your laptop. At last, you can also use netbook as a portable music system. So, let's make our netbooks work at home!

I had planned before to get a netbook before but always changed my mind just because of the same issue you have mentioned. Thank you so much for making up my mind again. :)

yup welcome to daniweb carolyncole. Well a netbook is usually use when you are travelling around because it is portable. I encouraged you to buy a netbook and if you had any issues or problem with it, post and i will help you since i have a netbook myself too

Hi , i use a generic vendor notebook (atom D245 , 1Gb ddr3, Windows7 starter) and use it as my high security internet system even at home and in comfort by being able to easily convert it into a desktop by
connect a large LCD display to the vga-out,
configured for external monitor only (for full optimal resolution) ,
set power settings "no action" when notebook lid is closed
I also connected a usb desktop keyboard (which has 2 usb ports) and attached a usb mouse, so i can use in comfort while sitting on my comfy lounge chair

(do need an external usb dvd-writer to create user burnt recovery disks, and an extra 1GB of system memory would help processing speed)

Supposely my netbook supposed to be portable but since it's battery were already dead, I modified it for home usage. I play games a lot with it but due to constriction put upon Atom processor, only some supported games can run well on it.

But I agree... Netbooks can be really useful in basic stuff at home like playing videos and music, All-in-One apps that can even surf web etc. so don't even underestimate the portability of netbook till tablet PC came around...

p/s: didn't realize this is an old thread but post it anyway...

Really nice post..thank you!!

well mine is a "netbook" not a "notebook" as previously described
very modest spec but does use ddr3 memory and has a SATA 3.0Gbps bus
The cpu is HT hyper-threading atom D425
Windows 7 starter works very well considering minimal resources
Is smooth and very reliable but ponderous at times with often all ram memory in use , so i have ordered a 2GB module
I use it with a 19in LCD monitor when at home
But was acquired for ventures into the wildreness
Works very well for net browsing and streaming, however security scans are slow
Extremely low power consumption and very quiet
i added 2 x 8mm rubberized plasic spacers under the base at the front to allow more cooling air access to the vents located underside
I hope to wake it up a little with a SSD and the ram memory upgrade
- was bundled with my internet subscription , I hope the isp don't mind....

yeh i know is an old post but seems a topical subject

I really dislike netbooks.
It's a small piece of junk, good only for browsing the internet. >_>
If you're gonna get a computer, invest in some normal hardware and don't
torture yourself with the tiniest keyboards, keys, a crappy CPU,
low amounts of ram, small hard drives, and little durability.

Also.... if you already have a desktop and/or a notebook at home - why
buy a netbook? Just a waste of money.

@ Also.... if you already have a desktop and/or a notebook at home - why
buy a netbook? Just a waste of money.

my thoughts
Mobility
low weight, low power consumption, not bulky - great for carrying in a standard backpack.- is not a burden taking anywhere, un-noticed by casual observers
also low cost high security (windows7) , low cost (browsing/basic tasks) for a new system
Can easily be converted into a desktop as I described , however has poor 3D graphics
The model I have uses standard 2.5in SATA hdd, HT cpu , ddr3 memory
But yes, has limitations

Basically put it this way.
To test if you can actually use it for work - Run SC2 on "High" Graphics, get at least 70 FPS, and then you'll know it's a good computer.

have fun lugging around a 300% heavier laptop that is 4x bulkier than a netbook, when you just need internet access

Uh. I would rather carry around a six pound notebook which can actually do something than a tiny piece of crap which is only good for internet use.
:\

Netbook suppose to be portable and easy to use
Notebook other hand good in overall apart from heavier than netbook

If you think you prefer good low battery consumption and not for heavy usage, netbook is clearly for you.

If you think you want to play Full HD movies, play high-graphic games, editing picture/videos, netbook isn't worth it and should getting a notebook for it.

Some people loves small and portable and some people want good performance so you guys can't argue about which is the best. Different people have different taste...

You would make a good diplomat.
Consensus reached : its an opinion.

my netbook windows experience index @ 2GB ram memory, Windows 7 Starter

mean ? the windows experience index
is merely the benchmarked means to compare ratings between computers made meaningful by relative personal resource usage of current computer
The figures I quoted compared against actual usage means that a computer of similar rating will in my opinion browse the net efficiently running full security and also multi-task low resource programs without disrupting the web page changing and also means will open applets like control panel etc without delays
In other words good enough for a netbook

A rating system of computers by windows..
Cant figure out if aa computer is good?

Honestly, just buy the six pound laptop which isnt heavy at all unless youre two, and save yourself money.

Clearly you're not using windows vista or later... or you didn't check 'My Computer' properties on win7...

Those ratings are from microsoft, they rated it for you about your hardware performance and stuff and it does useful to some people who wants great performance...

@ blackcat : Honestly, just buy the six pound laptop which isnt heavy at all unless youre two, and save yourself money.

Obviously you are not into al fresco dining where unfolding a full sized laptop would be er ?, noticed... ?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_fresco_dining
ps - weight is noticed when there is an alternative, and bulk is a factor as well when in unsecured areas - less attention the better
even a two year old can probably be taught to understand those concepts before being corrupted by bigotry

Why would you be using your computer while eating? :\

twinnings & scones in a tranquil shopping mall while catching up with the latest news and currency trades - a full size laptop would be a bit over the top.... but only my opinion

Please go back into the original topic guys... Both of you are straying from original discussion here...

ok , my netbook works very quickly and consistantly for web browsing which includes running usual net security programs except is slow for maintenance scanning.
I also use it as a desktop , being attached to a 19in LCD and usb keyboard/mouse, the system being quiet, low pwr comsumption and sits almost unnoticed with it's lid closed
However needed ram memory upgrade to 2GB @ $15 to assist with smoother mulitasking
and really needs a hdd upgrade - a 5,400rpm 1.5Gbps SATA on a 3.0Gbps bus .... maybe a hybrid hhd, have to look at the electical current specs compared with the original, maybe a used SSD with TRIM support from the US auction sites
My usage is web browsing/low resource home/office
fair enough ?

Which model of netbook do you use and which processor is installed?

Mine was built 3-4 years ago of eeepc model with Atom N945 which really slow for multitasking even when I upgraded it to 2GB

Newer model have better processor inside and can even run full HD movies without any problem...

Pendo U1000 Atom D425 hyper-threading release date 2010

http://ark.intel.com/products/49489/Intel-Atom-processor-D425-%28512K-Cache-1_80-GHz%29

http://pendo.com.au/netbook_u1000.html

i do not at this time own an external dvd drive so i can not evaluate support for usb bus streaming - also is needed to burn a recovery disk

Graphics supports aero effects

At this time I am using my P4 backup desktop with Ubuntu live so as to change all the passwords , so can not at this time check any on-board system info

Like I said.
Quit having a boring computer, quit having to go get a tutor. :\

Like I said.
Quit having a boring computer, quit having to go get a tutor. :\

please don't start another pointless argument here... this thread was for netbook so if you do not have one, I'm asking you to not posting something that against netbook usage here and please refer to the thread title what it is about. You can't just barged in and tell something that is discussed isn't good and use others instead.

I hate to give down vote but others do so please behave...

You guys are straying away from the topic:pretty:

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.