I am planning to buy a new laptop within a budget of 700 $.
I am going to use it for mainly programming purposes so I don't really care for graphic card etc.
I am looking for the following features:-
i5 processor
200 GB + HD
4GB + RAM

I am not really concerned with the other features.
Also would these specifications suffice for programming purposes ?
Are these specifications too much for my purpose?
Would you advise purchasing a Toshiba /Dell/HP laptop?
Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

I am planning to buy a new laptop within a budget of 700 $.
I am going to use it for mainly programming purposes so I don't really care for graphic card etc.
I am looking for the following features:-
i5 processor
200 GB + HD
4GB + RAM

I am not really concerned with the other features.
Also would these specifications suffice for programming purposes ?
Are these specifications too much for my purpose?
Would you advise purchasing a Toshiba /Dell/HP laptop?
Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

I would choose Dell among the three brand you mentioned. The specs are a bit low looking at how technology is nowadays but it should suit your purpose well.

Do you plan on running Linux on this machine? If so, check out www.zareason.com. With 2.3GHz i5 processor, their Alto unit will set you back $798 USD. The Dell Inspirion 14r at $649 (currently) w/ 2.4GHz i5, 500GB disc, and 6GB of RAM is more for the $$. But then, ZaReason is a small company in the San Francisco / Berkeley California area, and don't have the volumes that Dell does, hence their costs are higher. However, their quality is great, their people give you personal attention, and I do like to support "the little guy" (or woman in this case - their owner/president is Cathy Malmrose). So, if you are going to run Windows on the system, go with Dell. If Linux, go with ZaReason - all their hardware comes pre-installed with Linux (a number of versions available, as well as BSD), and all hardware (audio, cameras, wifi, etc) are guaranteed to work out-of-the-box.

dell is better for all purposes

Well, I can say that Dell's keyboard quality is awful these days. Also they have made some changable panels, which are actually useless.

I won't recommend you a specific model, because there are a lot of promotions and deals on every local store, but I would like to recommend you taking a look at HP and Lenovo. With a tight budget, at the moment these are the best brands.

Also, currently I am using Sony Vaio and it is more than great, but it is more expensive.

Good luck!

well go for a Compaq brand as it is not costly in the required specs

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.