1,105,332 Community Members

Which laptops are better? Dell or Toshiba ?

Member Avatar
swissknife007
Junior Poster in Training
74 posts since Oct 2008
Reputation Points: 3 [?]
Q&As Helped to Solve: 0 [?]
Skill Endorsements: 0 [?]

I am looking for a new laptop.My budget is around 700 $.I require the laptop for programming mainly.I would like to have i5 processor with 4gb + ram.
I would like to save as much money as possible without compromising on these requirements and quality .I don't care for looks .
I would like to know which company SONY /TOSHIBA/DELL will be better for me based on the criteria of configuration,quality ,longevity and price.
Please give detailed answers with justification.

Member Avatar
rubberman
Senior Poster
3,997 posts since Mar 2010
Reputation Points: 513 [?]
Q&As Helped to Solve: 501 [?]
Skill Endorsements: 87 [?]

See your other thread. And BTW, please don't post the same question multiple times! It won't get you any more/better answers!

nicolasmith501
Newbie Poster
11 posts since Feb 2012
Reputation Points: -6 [?]
Banned

dell is batter

Member Avatar
Bluestacks
Newbie Poster
9 posts since Feb 2012
Reputation Points: 0 [?]

Dell is still best laptop in market as I have used other laptops like HP and Acer but the way Dell works no one's can work.

Member Avatar
Marseline
Newbie Poster
11 posts since Feb 2012

I am looking for a new laptop.My budget is around 700 $.I require the laptop for programming mainly.I would like to have i5 processor with 4gb + ram.
I would like to save as much money as possible without compromising on these requirements and quality .I don't care for looks .
I would like to know which company SONY /TOSHIBA/DELL will be better for me based on the criteria of configuration,quality ,longevity and price.
Please give detailed answers with justification.

I would go for dell from experience but all depends on the user as well if you really know how to operate you machine.

amit28it
Newbie Poster
16 posts since Nov 2011
Q&As Helped to Solve: 1 [?]
Banned

My vote will go for toshiba because i have been using both of these laptops and i face many problems with dell like its battery is dead now,and sometime ago i have changed its motherboard which costs very much.

Member Avatar
rubberman
Senior Poster

I have a Dell D630 (now about 4 years old) and I bought my wife a Toshiba netbook a couple of years ago. Both are good. I've had to get the Dell repaired (not so the Toshiba), but it gets more use than the Toshiba. I got the 3 year warranty (new systems are only 1 year, unless you pay a premium), and everything was fixed for free. The battery and/or charging system on this unit has a design flaw, so the battery has gone bye-bye twice since I bought it. I had to put their tech support people in a headlock to get it replaced the second time (less than a year after the first one failed), but so far the newest one is still fine. I don't think the battery problems are just Dell's - a lot of LiON batteries have these problems. In any case, if they last more than a couple of years, consider yourself lucky.

Member Avatar
RTFMID10T
80 posts since Mar 2012
Reputation Points: 6 [?]
Q&As Helped to Solve: 9 [?]

I've always gone with Dell at all my jobs for customer service I just say who I am and the problem with the part and they mail it out. I have seen recently the peripherals have issues on Toshiba and have noticed iPhones won't be recognized by Toshiba.

Member Avatar
rohitorque
Newbie Poster
9 posts since Mar 2012
Q&As Helped to Solve: 1 [?]

If you are looking for rough use... and you are not going to care about your laptop after buying go for DELL... but if you are a cool obedient and silent guy who looks after his laptop a lot.. you can go for toshiba...

performance wise i will recommend toshiba... cos i am a toshiba user...

Member Avatar
godflea
Newbie Poster
18 posts since Sep 2011
Q&As Helped to Solve: 2 [?]

Of course it depends on the model and what you want.

I used to like Toshiba more than Dell. Dell laptops use cheap materials at the moment. Don't know much about Toshiba at the moment.

Good luck!

Member Avatar
rubberman
Senior Poster

Dell used to have a 3 year warranty on their business class laptops (Latitude). Now, they are only giving you a 1 year term. I think that the extra cost for a 3 year warranty is probably worth the price. My current D630 is now 4 years old, and still going strong, but then I had to get it fixed a couple of times under warranty! The 630 still has been more reliable than my previous D600, which had to get a new drive and a new motherboard at different points in its career. Fortunately, all those repairs were under warranty, but outside of the current 1 year period... :-)

Member Avatar
vikap10
Newbie Poster
5 posts since Mar 2012

I have used Dell for almost 5 years. I bought another one from Dell again, planning to buy third for my wife and I still feel Dell is the best.

I bought HP last year but was not much happy with it. I feel battery is a problem with almost every electronic device. The life of battery is dead in couple of years. Dell is no exception to this.

Member Avatar
ChrisHunter
Practically a Master Poster
625 posts since Feb 2011
Reputation Points: 120 [?]
Q&As Helped to Solve: 69 [?]
Skill Endorsements: 15 [?]
Featured

I've had a Dell XPS M1530 laptop for just over 3 years now and had to keep the AC adapter plugged in for just over two of those years, it started off as just loosing power quickly and not it won't turn on if i have the battery in as it tries to draw power from that but it's completely dead (and cost £109 to buy a new one from dell), and if you knock the power cable even a little bit the laptop dies straight away. It's happened with a lot of Dell laptops apparently but there's never been a re-call and I've read that replacing the motherboard and AC adapter may fix the problem but I've also read that in some cases that doesn't work.

I'm aware the creator of this thread may already have purchased a laptop but thought i would share this for anyone else looking into buying a new laptop. Also if anyone knows how to fix this problem please P.M. me.

Thanks

Member Avatar
jbennet
17,127 posts since Apr 2005
Reputation Points: 1,618 [?]
Q&As Helped to Solve: 736 [?]
Skill Endorsements: 38 [?]
Team Colleague
Featured

Lenovo!

Ive got a G series with an i3 and 4gb of ram its great.

Member Avatar
rubberman
Senior Poster

Re. battery issues. This is a common problem with current lithium-ion batteries. The only last 1-2 years before they have to be replaced, which runs about $99 from the dealer. You can get better prices on OEM units for popular laptops from Buy.com and other online vendors, but they are still too expensive, IMO.

Member Avatar
jbennet
17,127 posts since Apr 2005
Reputation Points: 1,618 [?]
Q&As Helped to Solve: 736 [?]
Skill Endorsements: 38 [?]
Team Colleague
Featured

Way more than 99 dollars they are like £100 to £150 here.

Member Avatar
wilsonroy324
Newbie Poster
1 post since Mar 2012
Reputation Points: -2 [?]

Dell is better ./..............

Member Avatar
firdousahmad
78 posts since May 2012
Reputation Points: -1 [?]
Q&As Helped to Solve: 4 [?]

i think dell is better as i am using it for last 3 years dell latitude E5400.....and i have no issue wd it

X.major
Newbie Poster
1 post since Jul 2012
Unverified Member

Am a toshiba user and mine have last for 5 years no proble. Toshiba need maintaince. Dell is for i dont care people.

Member Avatar
ChrisHunter
Practically a Master Poster
625 posts since Feb 2011
Reputation Points: 120 [?]
Q&As Helped to Solve: 69 [?]
Skill Endorsements: 15 [?]
Featured

I'm a Dell user and i 100% do care! top tip is if your battery, charger or HardDrive breakes . . . DON'T BY ONE FROM DELL !

For my XPS m1530

• New battery from Dell = £100+ (i got one from eBay for £18 and it works perfectly);

• New hard drive from Dell = alot on money (i took the one out of my partner's Acer because it just needs to be the same type e.g. Sata state);

• New charger from Dell = alot of money (i just borrow my brother's for his Hp pavilion and it works fine);

Moral of the story - if your laptop is out of warrenty by after-market parts Dell unnecessarily expencive.

You
View similar articles that have also been tagged: