I have lots of experience with Magento as a ecommerce solution, but I am looking for something a little more light weight. Magento is GREAT, it is just very server intensive and almost has to be hosted on a dedicated box. I am looking for something that can handle 100 or so products and be hosted on a shared platform, like GoDaddy.
Any suggestions?

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

i have heard a lot about wordpress ecommerce plug in .. give it a try.

I think you can give a try for TomatoCart, a light weight open source shopping cart.

It is 2nd runner up in 2010 open source awards although it is a young project developed since 2009.

Give it a try, I think you will be amazed.

i will recommend you to go ahead with virtuemart, Joomla CMS . i feel it's having less complexity compare to magento CMS.

hi,
magento is good one...but other than means try joomla..its really good after magento..its modules and components really used very much for ecommerce sites..there are lot of slideshow modules designs the website as great visual..I recommend joomla for ecommerce...

thanks..

I am surprised ProductCart has not been mentioned. I used this and it is quite popular. I was really impressed with how it set up and ran and would use it again. My favorite part was their customer service, very quick and very dedicated. Nice user community too. It's just a well-built product. Check it out here: http://www.earlyimpact.com/

I had a shop in Phoenix, AZ integrate it with a website I designed. They are well-versed in integrations of ProductCart and have had a long relationship with them. <plug snipped>

Whatever you use, good luck to you!

Got reply for almost all carts. I think wordpress will be the most ideal for that.

Is there any way you could develop your owner application for your eCommerce site? Perhaps that would be the best mechanism to do so. That way you get exactly what you want and you can scale it to how you please. Perhaps you might in turn make that software proprietary and make a little business out of that as well. I'm sure that would be useful considering I didn't see too many "Light Weight eCommerce" wares.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.