I'm personally wondering if online tech support via live chat is a profitable place to start, well, profiting. I know one can be paid anywhere from $30-$80/hr (average) for their knowledge lent through the internet, but I want to know if it's a smart idea to get involved in that sort of trade...is this a do or a don't?

-Zach

Recommended Answers

All 16 Replies

Live Chat is a very good thing. I recommend Livezilla its a free software.

of course its a very good thing that let's you get the support immediately without waiting hours for reply

Why not!! It should be a part of online merchant's marketing strategy and it increase the value of your business as well as conversion in the case of customer want immediate solution of his/her query for a product..here is an good article on [snipped]..

I use live chat on my site, mostly for customers who need installation help. Everyone likes it ..
:)

I'm personally wondering if online tech support via live chat is a profitable place to start, well, profiting. I know one can be paid anywhere from $30-$80/hr (average) for their knowledge lent through the internet, but I want to know if it's a smart idea to get involved in that sort of trade...is this a do or a don't?
-Zach

When I see a question like this I wonder if the person asking the question is flying solo or if he/she is going to employ several online support technicians. It would help to know. Either way, and on a different subject, using chat to diagnose and fix a tough problem is not as good as using remote access to fix it. Remote access benefits the technician and the customer.

Surely its the very creative idea.

Live Chat is very useful service on the site. And clients are always glad that they do not have to wait for long hours till their request is replied. On our site, f.e., we can provide you with Live Chat service via different messenger tools for your own taste. It always finds positive feedback.

I like using live chat myself as sometimes I just don't want to call support I'd rather do it on the side while Im working on other things. I also provide livechat for our ecommerce clients and most seem to like it, its also easier to understand some things, ie get link text from a user etc. However I'm not sure about the $30-$80 per hour average or what you would be doing for that? Since Livechat can be done by anyone anywhere in the world you are competing with people from countries with far lower wages.

If you know your stuff, then it should be a great place to get started. The problem is finding a customer base who needs your particular set of skills. Look for companies or individuals that need any niche skills you may have. That way you can charge a higher premium for your help.

It’s important that you have the opportunity to work so I think you should avail the opportunity.

@brentbret29 -

Advertising? Hmmmm ..

Getting clients is the challenge in doing livechats,am a newbie in website development..but am determined to come up with a website that will integrate marketing my services and selling them too.i consider livechat to be a great feature.Wish me luck

Considering that a medium sallary in US is areound 8 - 10$/h and you can be paid 30 - 80$ ... don't you think it would be profitable to to such a thing.
However my question is where do you find such a well paid job?

I also have an online store and I'm planning to install one in my website so customers can easily reach us. It is very good idea to improve customer service. i won't be too concerned with the salary as I will be doing it myself. If I can't, I can ask around to do it for me. Salary couldn't be that much here in the Philippines.

I want to know where the OP found out that someone in live support can be paid $30 to $80 per hour (and "on average" they note).

We have some very knowledgeable and friendly support staff at our company and have found our customers love having the option to utilize live chat instead of an emailed support ticket.

But they're not making anywhere near that amount! If they did, I'm transferring departments!

I would assume that the live tech agents are work @ home people who can multitask, responding to quite a handful of people at once. I would agree with the $8-10 range.

That being said, I definitely think it's a good thing to have. I enjoy the instant gratification of being able to get my questions answered without the hassle of having to deal with someone on the phone.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.