hi i have been making a wordpress blog/site about my local town and think some guidance might be needed. My site is at the beginning really, offering information about travel, shopping, hotels and that sort of thing - i'm sure you get the idea.

Anyway ive been slowly building links and adding content, changing things around. It was initially an idea that it is something i would know about off the top of my head, and help me learn more about using wordpress etc.

The site is now coming up in the top of google for certain words ie - (myhometown) market, or (myhometown) shopping etc. I have already seen some potential here and am starting to aim at words such as homes or lettings etc.

From here I am a bit lost though. I am aware that i can join affiliate programs for home letting, or jobsites such as monsterjobs.co.uk, but i feel that there might be something better i could be doing - local advertising. But ive not a clue where to start.

Now my site is still in its infancy but as said is getting some decent rankings for some keywords that MUST be useful to someone??

What is a good time/good amount of visitors before i consider approaching local businesses? How would one even go about this? What is a fair price? How is it decided?

I see some community sites offering simply paid links to businesses, but what about if i offered a write up with some pics?

What im looking for is ideas, guidance etc. I am in no rush really as my plan is to keep building for the next year whilst finishing studying, then looking at what to do, and hopefully the domain would have gained a fair bit more content, links and general presence.
If there is anyone who has done a similar type of site, or can offer any thoughts, then that would be really appreciated

Kind regards

Alan

Member Avatar for LastMitch

hi i have been making a wordpress blog/site about my local town and think some guidance might be needed. My site is at the beginning really, offering information about travel, shopping, hotels and that sort of thing - i'm sure you get the idea.

If I was to create a website where I'm from I will do a little different. WordPress has it own SEO plugin/package. I think Facebook/Twitter would be more useful for this type of business.

Now my site is still in its infancy but as said is getting some decent rankings for some keywords that MUST be useful to someone??

If someone from another country drop by to your town, then yes but it's hard to translate into money. Another words no matter how high your ranking it's doesn't mean visitors will drop by to your town as a tourist to see it.

What is a good time/good amount of visitors before i consider approaching local businesses? How would one even go about this? What is a fair price? How is it decided?

Unless you have local business buy ads on your website then it's really up in the air. I don't think anyone can answer to this question you are asking because it's hard to keep count on tourists.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.