Hi Guy's

I have just started my own independent blog on my own server account to compliment my Life Insurance Site and would like some tips on how best to set it out.

In terms of seo should my categories, blog roll, latest posts etc columns be on the left of the posts or to the right.

My thought is that if they are on the right then the search spiders will get to the posts and main content a lot quicker as they are not been sent off by any links?

Is this so and does any one have any tips or ideas etc.

Many thanks in advance

Recommended Answers

All 20 Replies

In terms of seo should my categories, blog roll, latest posts etc columns be on the left of the posts or to the right.

My thought is that if they are on the right then the search spiders will get to the posts and main content a lot quicker as they are not been sent off by any links?

It won't really matter. As long as you don't have any major road blocks (aka coding errors) the spiders will be able to capture all the content and follow most of the navigation structured on your site - no matter where it is. Develop the site nav for the user first. Let the spiders find their own way. Though its probably a good idea to set up a sitemap and use Google Webmaster tools to learn about any issues they might have with crawling. Running the site through a W3C validator wouldn't hurt either.

Wordpress is very good for SEO. There are so many useful plugins.

Does anyone know any good wordpress related sites/forums where I can get some good tips and advice in regards to seo etc

Again thanks

Hello dear,

I also wanted to know that can we add meta tags on wordpress blog?
Thanks

Hi Guy's

I have just started my own independent blog on my own server account to compliment my Life Insurance Site and would like some tips on how best to set it out.

Is this so and does any one have any tips or ideas etc.

Many thanks in advance

No dear i dont think this can be done

Hello dear,

I also wanted to know that can we add meta tags on wordpress blog?
Thanks

i dont think it matters in such a case... spiders area mainly concerned with the content and quality... navigation is not that problem for spiders

... Many thanks in advance

Common Blogging Mistakes

Blog Post Titles

As the subject of your post is used to develop the web page's name, you should try to get keyphrases in there. For example, if you want to promote your son's baseball career it would be better to entitle the posting "Saskatoon Little League Champion Grand Slam Win Tournament" rather than "Bobby hits one out of the park". This way you'll end up with a web page that is named saskatoon-little-league-champion.html

Labels or Tags or Blog Categories

Don't overuse tags. A blog post doesn't need to be in 30 different tags. Minimize the tags, maximize the postings in the tags.

Blog Comments

Moderate your comments. Remove spam swiftly. Intelligent comments should be kept with any links remaining attached. Encourage intelligent commentary.

Posting Content

Don't write one line, purposeless, meaningless, drab, boring stuff. Craft content. Work your paragraphs in SEO friendly ways. Figure out how to get images and videos in there, use the HTML tag attributes. Emphasize important keyphrases using bold, underline or any other method. Write unique, important sentences. Keep posts condensed to one or two subjects.

There lots more about SEO for blogging but that should get you started in the right direction.

You can use the tagging and categories to efficiently improve the keyword density of the wordpress blog. Add that up with blogroll links that links back to your main site and that will be perfect.

Definately, webtrafficandmarketing.com seems like most of us in there are wordpress developers but really good SEO content

Does anyone know any good wordpress related sites/forums where I can get some good tips and advice in regards to seo etc

Again thanks

in terms of position of content you only really need to know that the higher up a link is on your page it will get the most of your "link juice" so make sure that whatever keywords come up in the first 20 links is what you are trying to rank for. The further down the page the less important the links appear

You can add meta keywords not meta tags to your "blog"
as such but each post has meta tags.

I've heard that wordpress "thesis" template comes preoptimized and submits your blog to bookmarking sites automatically ... seems I read an article on this somewhere ...

Wordpress is very good for SEO. There are so many useful plugins.

I use wordpress all in one SEO plug in and it is okay.

I will second WordPress. It is very versatile and also very easy to start using. It can even update itself etc. It has lots of high quality themes and plugins (including for marketing, social and seo) you can use.

CanadaFred Thanks for the information! Been picking up buts and pieces. It's refreshing to have you list some of the things I need to key in on.

Thanks!

I think wordpress is the best enggine blog for optimization your web site, use allinone seopack and you done!

Wordpress is very good and provides many plugins for your seo works. Just use them.

hello,
superspudnuts

first can you show me your website link, after that i have analyze and says any Strategies of your website.. because SEO is very much effective to increase the business, so with out site we cant said anything. I'm expecting your next your with your website link..

You can start working from the on page optimization and then you can move to off page with link building ,comment posting .

As blogging platforms go, Wordpress is the reigning champion of SEO. From extended page URLs to pingback links and header tags, these four SEO tips can help you turn your Wordpress blog into a powerful SEO resource.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.