Hello,

We just changed our website to a different host/shopping cart and I am working on attempting to get our rankings higher in the search engines, (like everyone else).

My question is, why do some sites not seem to have any meta tags or descriptions, and yet are consistently at the very top of the search? Others, which don't really have a lot to do with the search terms, are also consistently on the first few pages, and yet many of them have few meta tags. Some have a ton, others have none, some are somewhere in the middle.

One other quick question, do we use commas in the keywords or do we not? That seems to change also, although most have commas.

I am totally baffled by this and do not know how to work with this subject. If you can point me to an older posting or something where I can read concrete information I would be very appreciative!

pubassist

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Meta description tag is still an important factor regarding on-page optimization and you should keep contents within 160 characters. It is right to use comma in meta keyword tag as a delimiter though this tag has been omitted by Google but still in use under other SEs. :)

Have a nice day,

Hello,

We just changed our website to a different host/shopping cart and I am working on attempting to get our rankings higher in the search engines, (like everyone else).

My question is, why do some sites not seem to have any meta tags or descriptions, and yet are consistently at the very top of the search? Others, which don't really have a lot to do with the search terms, are also consistently on the first few pages, and yet many of them have few meta tags. Some have a ton, others have none, some are somewhere in the middle.

One other quick question, do we use commas in the keywords or do we not? That seems to change also, although most have commas.

I am totally baffled by this and do not know how to work with this subject. If you can point me to an older posting or something where I can read concrete information I would be very appreciative!

pubassist

Meta tags include meta keyword tags, meta robot tags and meta description tags.

meta keyword tags are generally ignored by google now.

But the latter two might be helpful if you are to prevent spiders from indexing some pages or google may use your meta description tag for your site description.

Metatags are getting less important but having one is a definitely must. Try searching any keyword, you will realize the "Keyword/Keywords" appearing in the Title Bar.

Hello,

pubassist

Meta tags are important for search engines with the help of this search engines are able to know the theme of your site.
As you asked that some sites are in good position with out meta tags and description. I think the SEO work of these sites have done very smartly with only one or two keywords and the sites are too old in the net. This is the only reason I can say.

Title and description are the most important at this time.

I am currently building a website and need to know info on Meta tags and what they are and how do i put them into my website. I have a yahoo store. Thank you in advance for all your information. I am deaf. It is not possible for me to call tech support on the phone. Making it harder and harder for me to build my site.

Till now meta description is considered important. As Google is the main search engine we mainly do SEO for getting high rank on it so you can avoid using meta keywords. But a good description with properly using keywords as meta description can be good for your site.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.