Hi all, and thanks in advance for any replies.

Google Places - great for helping nearby searchers find your business. But would signing up have a negative impact on searches outside of your business' region?

For example (fictional): a user in London searches for "IT support" and finds my IT support business based in London. Great. But if a user in Leeds searches for "IT support", would my company's ranking be worse than if I had not used Google Places at all?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Regards

Member Avatar for LastMitch

For example (fictional): a user in London searches for "IT support" and finds my IT support business based in London. Great. But if a user in Leeds searches for "IT support", would my company's ranking be worse than if I had not used Google Places at all?

The question you ask is a bit hard to answer because you mention another country or region.

You can read this article, it is about what not to do with Google Place:

http://searchengineland.com/9-common-ways-to-bork-your-local-rankings-in-google-99336

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.