Hello friends,
Do you know about SMO and SMM? What is the different between SMO and SMM? Because i am confuse between them. Some people says both are different and some says both are qual. So what do you think about this? Please shair your thoughts.

Thanks
Loriya

Namira commented: SMM stands for Social Media Marketing. +0

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

Although wikipedia gives them both very similar definitions they are slightly different and as trends and strategies change those definitions will continue to change. In way they are both just buzz words being used by alot of Companies to show that they are knowledgeable in the social media niche of online marketing.

Social Media Optimization for me is more about optimizing a social media page about a website, brand, company, etc. to maximize their exposure both organically through followers, shared content, and in the eyes of search engines. The latter being sometimes a concern if my Company isn't involved in the marketing strategies of the website itself as we have had Clients Social Media sites outrank their own website in the SERPs. The goal with SMO is really to drive as much traffic to the conversion point as possible.

Social Media Marketing for me is two fold; the first is working with Clients to develop and effectively manage PPC advertising programs on the social media channel(s) that are most likely to have the highest ROI for that Client. The second part of SMM for me is actually convincing social media users that the product, service, Company, etc. is actually being presented to them through a reliable/trustworthy source and not directly from the Company. Basically taking a bandwagon approach to try and generate new leads, or in layman terms: if all my friends are doing this, then maybe I should be too! Which then equals more leads = more conversions.

Davey Winder just made an excellent post about a week ago on how he sees Social Media Optimization; its worth a good read and I'm sure by using google you could find a ton of other resources to help guide you:
http://www.daniweb.com/internet-marketing/social-media-and-communities/tutorials/481463/understanding-social-media-optimization

commented: excellent reply, we need more like this in the internet marketing forums +14

SMO and SMM is realted Online marketing and it is incraesing tarffic and ranking of sites.

SMO refers to fb page creation,sharing posts in social media and other stuffs which are done with an organic approach.SMM is paid advertising like fb ads,linked ads and youtube ads.

Social Media Optimization is basically used to share website content.

Where as Social Media Maketing is used to connect with target audiance. On different social networks we can interact with customers which will finally drive the sales for website.

According to me these both the SMO and SMM is interreleated. these both strategies is depend on Social media just the difference is that SMO is stands for Social media optimization. like optimization of website through Social networking websites. and other the SMM stands for Social media marketing this include the marketing the Product of our business on Social networking websites.

Both are increasing traffic of websites and it is bestfor online marketing .

SEO and SMO both are internet marketing strtegies but SEO used for keyword ranking on search engine like google, bing, yahoo. SMO used for website promotion to social media website like facebook, twiiter, linked in, pinterest and google+ .

SEO stands for Search Engine Optimization. It is the practice of optimizing websites and online content to improve their visibility and ranking on search engine results pages (SERPs). SEO involves various techniques and strategies aimed at making websites more relevant and trustworthy in the eyes of search engines like Google, Bing, and Yahoo.
SMM stands for Social Media Marketing. It is a form of digital marketing that utilizes social media platforms to promote products, services, or brands. SMM involves creating and sharing content on platforms like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn to engage with target audiences, increase brand awareness, drive website traffic, and generate leads.

The difference between SMO and SMM is very simple the SMO is to get organic traffic from social media and SMM is to get traffic from social media by paying to the different channels .

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.