I have made the point in numerous posts that not all social media is good for all industries. My new question has to do with prioritizing your social media activity if you have a small staff or no staff.

For example, I consult with a start-up that is looking to bring entrepeneurs together to meet one another and to meet people who can help them get their ideas off the ground. I told my client that the best fits for their business model are Linkedin, Twitter, & blogging initially and that eventually a YouTube or Vimeo account to showcase videos of speeches at events that stand out as extremely engaging and popular. As the client is a one person shop who I assist when things get hectic and I recommended that she build her Linkedin presence first, create a blog and link the blog to the profile and use twitter to communicate with people she has met who are not on linkedin. We also worked in the meetup groups she created. After the Linkedin profile was established the blog and the twitter feed would become the larger priorities.

I did not view facebook as an option as many of her potential clients are not social media savvy and in speaking to some of them they view facebook as something their kids do and not something they would use.

Do any of you have clients who are establishing social media plans or have just done so and you can see where prioritizing the building of each channel in terms of developing the overall plan logically?

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Establishing social media plans is actually a concentrated and concerted effort and it does not only involve - putting links on social bookmarking sites. It involves seriously thinking of all the segments, which social media would be best to reach them, which one is the lowest hanging fruit for this particular social media campaign, both long run and short run, and then create an appropriate plan/s.
I remember hearing once: "LinkedIn is an office; Facebook is a backyard; and Myspace is a club." Remember this for your social media campaign.

Establishing social media plans is actually a concentrated and concerted effort and it does not only involve - putting links on social bookmarking sites. It involves seriously thinking of all the segments, which social media would be best to reach them, which one is the lowest hanging fruit for this particular social media campaign, both long run and short run, and then create an appropriate plan/s.
I remember hearing once: "LinkedIn is an office; Facebook is a backyard; and Myspace is a club." Remember this for your social media campaign.

I guess that would make blogs the newspaper and twitter the radio!

Seriously, I think that SMBs are more prone to jump into anything and everything to take advantage of low cost/free marketing opportunities and they are the ones that need to understand that not all social media options are best for their model. Larger companies and corporations are better equipped to work in all social media options as their expectations are a little lower in terms of outcome as the social media channels are not their main line of advertising and marketing.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.