The link below is to the initial report on ZDNet but what is not in this story is that the response to a negative tweet (this response being absurd) went viral and really caused the realty company a much larger headache.

http://government.zdnet.com/?p=5151

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Thanks for sharing the article. This brings up a major concern about who is viewing the information and what unimaginable consequences it will bring on. For example, the cheerleader who was coerced to release her login information to her coach because of certain information she released about the team on her feeds. http://mashable.com/2009/07/29/cheerleader-lawsuit/

Thanks for sharing the article. This brings up a major concern about who is viewing the information and what unimaginable consequences it will bring on. For example, the cheerleader who was coerced to release her login information to her coach because of certain information she released about the team on her feeds. http://mashable.com/2009/07/29/cheerleader-lawsuit/

The insane aspect of the cheerleader incident is if some lunatic judge finds in favor of the coach and the school, this could turn into precedent for employers to request the same information of employees. And if you think that this is impossible, our Supreme Court found the right of eminent domain on the part of municipalities over individuals in terms of house and property if the house and property stand in the way of the municipality wanting to do something beneficial with the land.

Even in a personal level, it is becoming commonplace for people in relationships to ask for their significant other's login information for all social networking and email accounts. Perhaps not in this administration but I do predict that there will be a federal regulation or guideline about online privacy and employers.

Even in a personal level, it is becoming commonplace for people in relationships to ask for their significant other's login information for all social networking and email accounts. Perhaps not in this administration but I do predict that there will be a federal regulation or guideline about online privacy and employers.

I share your prediction (hope) that there will be a federal reg about online privacy and employers. Sadly, there used to be a time where companies would respect the privacy of their employees. Unfortunately, many employees invite these possible invasions of privacy by making their private lives part of office life by IMing and going on facebook while at work. For myself, I go out of my way to keep my private life separate from my work life and I know there are times when they will mix because of circumstances beyond my control. But some of my former co-workers would engage in activities at work (loud personal cell phone calls, IMing, facebook and using private e-mail on the company network) that left me dumbstruck.

As to personal relationships and sharing logon info, even there I would want to keep some thinks private.

Thanks for the most useful information....this is very important to know what is going on and what is the reason.

Thanks for the most useful information....this is very important to know what is going on and what is the reason.

No problem, glad to have been of help. That is the power of DaniWeb, conversations and information to help you do your job better.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.