I have been in marketing for over 18 years and when I first started out the process for launching a new product or service or company involved press releases/press conferences, media interviews, trade show appearances or launch tours. In the last 5 years with the growth of social media, online communities and technological advances a lot of this can be handled online.

A few months back I was at an event for ultra-light startups, which I have talked about in the past, and watched presentations by companies who were using social media and the web for 75-80% of their company launch and publicity. My question is, are we getting closer (or perhaps we have already arrived) to a time when every aspect of launching a new product or business will be able to be done without leaving the office?

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

I think it has been done already but I am a firm believer that human touch has to also be incorporated. For example, a startup uses social media to promote its new product but such 2.0 tactics cant substitute the human interaction of a business development professional.

I think it has been done already but I am a firm believer that human touch has to also be incorporated. For example, a startup uses social media to promote its new product but such 2.0 tactics cant substitute the human interaction of a business development professional.

I totally agree. And while the big trade shows have pretty much dried up I think in some cases, on a regional basis, a company should engage in some sort of live event to introduce the product in person. I have done road shows like these in the past for product launches and they have worked very well.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.