It looks like your daily updates to Twitter and Facebook about what you are doing could be setting you up for home invasion and robbery. A 'reformed burgler' working for the BBC (what is the job scope on that one) described people friending strangers and then posting updates about going on vacation or business trips is like ringing the dinner bell.

Be careful who you friend and what you post. I am going to go tweet that I will be home all weekend cleaning my guns and feeding my rottweilers raw meat!:D

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

In another thread, I discussed the fact that Twitter was going to introduce the concept of geographic data in tweets to show where you are tweeting from. Put that together with what the BBC's 'reformed burglar' said, this could be a gold mine for the tech savvy thieves!

I totally agree. I am also afraid that such data transparencies can be used more to hurt than to benefit the user. I have already heard of stories in which the person called in sick yet updated status on Facebook or Twitter on what they were actually doing on their sick day.
So that is why I only update very so often. You know know how this information can be used against you.

I totally agree. I am also afraid that such data transparencies can be used more to hurt than to benefit the user. I have already heard of stories in which the person called in sick yet updated status on Facebook or Twitter on what they were actually doing on their sick day.
So that is why I only update very so often. You know know how this information can be used against you.

I have already been telling family and friends be careful what you post as you never know who is looking. It is scary to see how flexible and tech savvy the criminal world continues to be.

The fact that search engines now release twitter and facebook updates allows more "intelligence" gathering by these unscrupulous researchers.

The fact that search engines now release twitter and facebook updates allows more "intelligence" gathering by these unscrupulous researchers.

Add in the preponderance of tools that allow you to agregate updates from multiple people you are following in an easy to read fashion and it is literally like chumming the waters for sharks.

So true. You know I saw a PSA today targeting young kids about being careful of what they post online since it is the equivalent of them posting these racy pictures on the school's bulletin.

So true. You know I saw a PSA today targeting young kids about being careful of what they post online since it is the equivalent of them posting these racy pictures on the school's bulletin.

With the number of predatory adults (and older teens) on the web I watch my daughter like a hawk and talk to her constantly about what she is doing on line and who she is interacting with. Fortunately, she sticks to just her friends and they do the same.

But not many kids are blessed with hawk parents like you. Thus, even for adults who are laxed about their social media behavior, the consequence of not being cautious could be a high price to pay.

But not many kids are blessed with hawk parents like you. Thus, even for adults who are laxed about their social media behavior, the consequence of not being cautious could be a high price to pay.

Sadly, you are dead on in this case. I know many of my friends have become more aware after I forward them horror stories I find on the web. I wish that it would not take a web-version of slapping someone upside their head to get them to wake up.

A follow up to my original post. It seems that not all social media-savvy criminals are geniuses. It seems that a 19 year old knucklehead in PA was arrested for robbing a house because he checked his facebook account on his victim's computer and forgot to log out. Here is the link to the Mashable story. I smell a Darwin Award candidate.

http://mashable.com/2009/09/17/facebook-robber-arrested/

One big disadvantgae of social networking is Scams and Harassment

There is a potential for failure of security in both personal and business context. While many sites apply certain measures to keep any of these cases of harassment, cyber-stalking, online scams, and identity theft to an absolute minimum, you still may never know.

One big disadvantgae of social networking is Scams and Harassment

There is a potential for failure of security in both personal and business context. While many sites apply certain measures to keep any of these cases of harassment, cyber-stalking, online scams, and identity theft to an absolute minimum, you still may never know.

True, but the point of this thread is not so much scams and harrasment but to point out that if you are to free with info about your wherabouts when updating your status on these sites you could be providing potential thiefs with the info they need to know when your valuables are at their most vulnerable for theft. Not so much your online identity, your credit identity or trying to get you to give them money for some false reason but if you post on your facebook or tweet that you are going out of town then resourceful criminals will use the information at their disposal along with other pieces of info (cross referencing your name to the yellow pages for example) and then come and rob your house or place of business.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.