For the bloggers on this network, do you welcome PR and corporations outreaching you for publicizing their products or services? Or are you offended?
I just read this article that inspired me to write this post: http://www.emarketer.com/Article.aspx?R=1007248

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

For the bloggers on this network, do you welcome PR and corporations outreaching you for publicizing their products or services? Or are you offended?
I just read this article that inspired me to write this post: http://www.emarketer.com/Article.aspx?R=1007248

I have not been contacted to talk up anyones product but if they did I would be more than happy to if:

• I can road test the product to be certain of if I would use it and find it beneficial
  • The approach is honest and open (ie, don't try to bribe me or influence with gifts)
  • Talking up the product does not make my blog look like I am blogging for profits

Blogging is the best activity.You can earn more and more from it.But it need quality content and update it on daily bases.

Not really certain what SteveBurner did to get banned after a single post but to address his comment, for a professional blogger it has to make you money either directly or by getting you freelance writing gigs that do pay. Otherwise, you would not be a professional blogger. For others, like some on this site, blogging is a way to build a reputation through a body of work you can refer people to. They are the ones that might get offended.

As for the rest of what he say, it is accurate.

I would blog a product if I was approached by a company to do so, provided they didn't ask me to lie about the review. A blogger could ruin their reputation and good conscience that way.

I would blog a product if I was approached by a company to do so, provided they didn't ask me to lie about the review. A blogger could ruin their reputation and good conscience that way.

I think most people would agree with your sentiment on that. For both the bloggers and the companies approaching them, the hit to your reputation far outweighs any momentary monetary gain.

I think most people would agree with your sentiment on that. For both the bloggers and the companies approaching them, the hit to your reputation far outweighs any momentary monetary gain.

Agreed! The damage from just one of those types of postings could have long-term results.

In the day of age where many companies have access from social media tools which identify influencing bloggers, it may become easier to approach bloggers to skew opinions. Unless the blogger is transparent about it, this type of posting can adversely affect the blogger's reputation and most of all, blog site traffic.

I have a friend who has successfully moved from being a salaried writer with one of the bigger IT news sites to being a freelance blogger and writer. He gets approached by a lot of companies to talk up their products. What he does to maintain his rep is he agrees to write a traditional review/column about the product and offer it to the different sites he writes for. If he cannot find a taker he will then put it in his blog but still presents it in he same format he would for the standard sites. By remaining consistent the people who read his blog can see that he is maintaining his objectivity. It works for him.

Well your friend is an exemplary of the ideal blogger that many bloggers aspire to be.

Well your friend is an exemplary of the ideal blogger that many bloggers aspire to be.

He is one of the best there is and he has developed a reputation in the tech world that many others can only aspire to. Fortunately for me he has remained a good source for work for me and others that he farms out when he can't handle it.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.