I'm trying to connect to a mediacom sever (http://www.mchsi.com/) with it so I can upload my forum files, but it won't work. Please help.

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Explain it a bit more..

like are you trying to connect to a hosted site froma hosting plan you have from mchsi, or trying to advertise your forum from there website..sorry but you confused me with that one..

I'm trying to connect to the sever to upload files. Mediacom has an html uploader but it would take me hours to upload all my new forum files.

I'm trying to connect with Ipswitch WS_FTP Professional. (The demo). Every time I try and connect it doesn't work and I get the following in the log:

Finding Host upload.mchsi.com ...
Connecting to 204.127.203.141:21
Connected to 204.127.203.141:21 in 2.343750 seconds, Waiting for Server Response
Initializing SSL Session ...
Error reading response from server.
Connection closed by remote host.

it could be they have disabled ssl access...

try a different transfer mode and see if it works..

I've tried SSL and FTP but the stupid program always can't read the response and then the mediacom sever breaks the connection.

Belive me I've tried every transfer type. I have the right address, username, and password. I just won't work. Could it be the facted that its a demo?

I'm getting really fed up with mediacom. I called IT twice, the first time I was on hold for 15 min before I hung up, and the second I was on hold 25.

I can not get the FTP upload to work either.

This is what Mediacom has on its web site for instructions.

FTP (File Transfer Protocol) is the most widely used method for uploading Web pages from a desktop computer to a hosting service. Many authoring tools come equipped with a utility to make this somewhat complex process easy. The following are some additional FTP programs that can be used in the event that your authoring tool doesn't include one or you are looking for a different way to accomplish this task.

CuteFTP is a Windows-based Internet application that allows novice users to utilize the capabilities of FTP without having to know all the details of the protocol itself. It simplifies using FTP by offering a user-friendly, graphical interface instead of cumbersome command-lines.

Ipswitch WS-FTP PRO is designed for non-programmers, but it's sophisticated enough for power users. WS_FTP PRO takes full advantage of Windows' point-and-click capabilities. Its intuitive graphical-user-interface, with side-by-side directory windows for local and remote sites, makes it easy for users to select and transfer files using FTP. Be sure to see if you qualify to use the free version of this software, WS-FTP LE.

Anarchie 2.0 is an FTP client for the Mac. It will let you browse FTP sites, upload or download files, or find them using an Archie or MacSearch.

Using Personal Web Pages FTP Server

To use Personal Web Pages FTP server you need:

to be connected with Mediacom Online
to use "upload.mchsi.com" for the server's address
to use your e-mail ID (the portion before @mchsi.com) as your user identification
to use your e-mail password as your password (remember it is case sensitive)
to upload your files (your FTP utility may haveother features that you can use)

Your files will not be available on our servers until after you end your FTP session.

Please use FTP Server only, if you are using computer from home or your computer is connected to Mediacom Online network.

Using Personal Web Pages Secure FTP Server

To use Personal Web Pages Secure FTP server from anywhere on the internet you need:

to have Secure FTP software installed on your computer
to use "secureupload.mchsi.com" for the server's address
to use your e-mail ID (the portion before @mchsi.com) as your user identification
to use your e-mail password as your password (remember it is case sensitive)
to upload your files (your FTP utility may haveother features that you can use)

Your files will not be available on our servers until after you end your FTP session.

How to use the FTP utility that comes with Windows 95

To use the FTP utility that comes with Windows 95, perform the following steps:

Be sure you're connected with Mediacom Online
Create a DOS-PROMPT WINDOW
From the DOS prompt, type "ftp" and hit the Enter key
From the FTP prompt, type
"open upload.mchsi.com"
Answer the "User:" prompt with your e-mail ID (before the @ sign)
Answer the "Password:" prompt with your e-mail password
Type "bin" to select Binary FTP transfer mode
You can now upload files.For example, to upload "A:\index.html"
At the FTP prompt, type "put A:\index.html"and hit the Enter key
Wait for the FTP prompt to return
Repeat the upload command as necessary.
When you are done, type "bye" and hit the Enter key

When I try the Windows 85 method I get:
ftp
ftp> open upload.mchsi.com
Connected to upload.mchsi.com
Connection closed by remote host.
ftp>

My FTP software does work with other sites.

Have you tried FileZilla as your upload client? I was getting very frustrated myself, but then I grabbed FileZilla (http://filezilla-project.org/) and just used their quick connect feature, and was uploading via ftp quickly. Not sure if it'll help you, but it made my life easier.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.