Check out this article on the official Google Blog:

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2009/10/rt-google-tweets-and-updates-and-search.html

Tweets within search results because Twitter is doing something that even Google can't do ... provide LIVE search results.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

I heard they were thinking about doing this a few months ago but there were no definite plans as to when. As they just passed 5 billion tweets, 4 billion in the last calendar year, it is kind of hard for Google to ignore them.

Thanks for sharing that link. Perhaps I am being Devil's advocate, but this up a concern about privacy. It seems that now a days, users forget how precious their privacy can be. Thus, with their updates being in "live" mode, their employers can track them if the user is not "working". What do you think?

Thanks for sharing that link. Perhaps I am being Devil's advocate, but this up a concern about privacy. It seems that now a days, users forget how precious their privacy can be. Thus, with their updates being in "live" mode, their employers can track them if the user is not "working". What do you think?

Back when they were originally talking about this it was in terms of including only the top tweeters (Ashton Kutcher et al) but if it is all tweets I agree with InsightsDigital that there are privacy issues for people who are tweeting for non-job related reasons. I imagine an opt-out or opt-in is in the offing.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.