Hey guys, I'm new to social media marketing. I was wondering which one is better: should I create an account about my company (use company name, logo, profile etc. ) in social networking sites? or should I create an account about myself (my pictures, my profile etc.) and promote the company I'm marketing as a representative?

Recommended Answers

All 26 Replies

We have both company and personal accounts. Building a social network from scratch is a real tough one. Observe how others, including your competition, are participating on the social media platform you chose.

I second MacKone. I have built a few social networks and it can be time consuming and the most important issue is that you constantly have to promote it becasue remember, 80% of posts come from less than 20% of members.

Not much better :)

Time consuming indeed. How many hours a day do you guys usually allocate for SMM? Let's say you guys have your own personal Facebook accounts. Would you use that account for SMM? or would you create a different one strictly for business?

I think the first thing a business should do when using social media is establish - across the platforms - a strong, clear and consistent brand image. After this, it really is a case of putting in the time to engage with your chosen communities. This will, ultimately, build trust and drive people to the business.

Isobel, agency:2

Yea, I suggest you do both and inter-link accounts and cross promote.

Or also keep the same handle with all the other profiles so you can solidifying one identity.

Darryl, do tell us how it works out for you?

Ok, I will. I'll go for the "two accounts" approach, and see how it goes. It'll take time though.

I forgot to tell you Darryl, make sure when you use Social media sites for business, you keep your objective CLEAR. Remember that most of the people there, are there for a reason, SOCIALIZE, so only accept friends and followers who have similar interests, and who are willing to see what you have to offer them. Otherwise, you can deviate your focus and become caught up in the socializing frenzy!

the first positive thing on social media is that the news, content of website it's getting fast spred. so good that you have made an account. you will be know in this way!

I think it doesn't matter whether you use your company's information or your personal information. What really matters is the content under the account.

I think creating an account with your company details would be much better for promoting the products or services. Then you need to concentrate about the posting. It should be unique and eye catchy at the same time so that people can find it interesting. Also you need to read and participate others posting so they can also come and read about your postings, your business etc.

I think if you have a company then the best way is to promote it as a company. The reason is if you try to promote it a single user then your profile will look like a yellow page rather than someone who is here to share views. But as a company you have no boundary, feel free to talk about your products and services as being a company you are there for promotion only.

So i think other user will take it seriously and will response you positively.

I think better way is to create a profile for your company name and do work for that, also better to make a personal profile and cross promote these..

I have created my account on a couple of social media sites, like facebook and myspace. I think these are the best options to use and promote your business.

Thank you for the feedback, guys. I've been trying to promote the brand using the company's identity. So far, it has been difficult to look for interested people. I have very few followers and "friends."

Hey guys, I'm new to social media marketing. I was wondering which one is better: should I create an account about my company (use company name, logo, profile etc. ) in social networking sites? or should I create an account about myself (my pictures, my profile etc.) and promote the company I'm marketing as a representative?

If you use your personal Facebook profile to connect to make business connections, then it's time you consider setting up a Facebook Fan Page for marketing. Your personal profile connects you with friends and family, but it also mixes your leisure life with your business. so i would recommend to build company's profile.Facebook is one of the greatest marketing tools a business owner can use. If done so correctly, adding a Facebook Fan Page may be your smartest marketing move yet.

Hi,

I think create your profile with the company name if you are using social networking sites for your company. Just upload your company picture in your profile make a proper description of your company it puts good impression in front of others. write proper first name last name company email address, address, phone number, city, state and country these all are very important in social networking sites.

Good Luck

Thanks

SNIP

Introduction to Social Media Optimization
Social Media Optimization (SMO) is a new term that has been taking on life of its own. SMO tactics can drive huge amounts of people to a website and can also determine whether a startup, website or idea will make it or not. It involves driving traffic to a website through new channels because search engines aren't the only sites that drive big traffic anymore. While it's not taking over SEO yet, it has the potential to someday soon.

First of all "social media" is a buzzword that has been thrown around a lot lately. But what exactly does it really mean? Wikipedia describes social media as...

the online tools and platforms that people use to share opinions, insights, experiences, and perspectives with each other. Social media can take many different forms, including text, images, audio, and video. Popular social mediums include blogs, message boards, podcasts, wikis, and vlogs.

Also, social media can be considered anything that can help build a community to rally around. Companies/websites such as Myspace, Twitter, Facebook, and Linkedin all fit the bill. These are all websites that can now be used as places to put out your marketing message. Spreading messages through blog posts and blog search engines also fits the bill. It is all about making something easy to spread, which, by the way, used to be called word-of-mouth. Buyer beware though, you can't force SMO. This is pull marketing; it is not "push your message onto someone marketing".

With SEO the goals are clearly defined, you're trying to make a website visible in the search engines. Is SMO really as simple to define as making your site visible in the social media? Does that entail anyway possible and include buying banner ads on MySpace?

The concept behind SMO is simple: implement changes to optimize a site so that it is more easily linked to, more highly visible in social media searches on custom search engines (such as Technorati), and more frequently included in relevant posts on blogs, podcasts and vlogs.
The 7 Layout Rules.

1.Increase Your Linkability

2.Make Tagging and Bookmarking easy

3.Reward Inbound Links

4.Help Your Content Travel

5.Encourage the Mashup

6.Be a User Resource, Even if it Doesn't Help You

7.Reward Helpful and Valuable Users

Hi

Actually both are good options. You can create your personal as well as Company profile on social networking websites. The only thing you should keep in mind is that if you are concentrating on the branding than you need to create your Company profile but if you want to share information and generate business leads than you should create you a personal profile. You may see our profile on LinkedIn
SNIP
Thanks !

I also want to building up some accounts of social media sites, just to promote my business, but i have no idea of social media sites. This forum help me a little bit and require some more information. Please help me. thanks

SNIP SNIP SNIP

Time consuming indeed. How many hours a day do you guys usually allocate for SMM? Let's say you guys have your own personal Facebook accounts. Would you use that account for SMM? or would you create a different one strictly for business?

Definitely, you can get use of social media, It will provide you more exposure to your site and products.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.