popin 0 Light Poster

hi all

A few month's back I was pondering some new codeing (sp?) projects to keep my hands busy (since leaving uni) and one of the ideas i had was to build a robust and nice video editing program. something not a million miles away from windows movie maker

(a very good program bar the tendency for what looks like a memory regurgitation error when handling large amounts of input, for example i use to make AMV's in my spare time and i stooped because most other movie editing software is either a expensive or b sucks and WMM although being good needs to be reinstalled after you load around 15 hours of footage in - i know your saying thats crazy robust but its not all at once even if you remove footage as you go it mounts up in wmm making it unusable after a time) anyway...

so i want to make a video editing piece of software with controls for sound editing and other things. well i know about the theory behind video input and a little on sound but its not nearly enough (at least i don't think it is) to make a program to do what i want so my questions for you all to discus (hopefully) are these:

1 what language do you believe best suits these task's and why? (my instincts say some type of C maybe C++ or C# as its more powerful while being quite flexible)

2 what do i need to know to make this program (you don't have to tell me directly step by step here im not trying to be lazy just some headers would be nice, what to look into where to go if you know of anything particularly helpful etc i'v looked but didnt find much)

and 3 what kind of structure do you think would best suit this program, ive got a pseudo one worked out but as i say am not sure of the details of video manipulation in working applications so would appreciate any opinions or input?

i intend to release it open source if its any good when im done (tho i haven't coded anything yet) if you want more details on anything just leave a request i'l keep an eye on the topic.

thanks for your time and i hope this is in the right spot here

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.