mahesh kumar 0 Newbie Poster

hi i m mahesh i want to knw about the project on media player

Hi all,

Ok - there's nothing like a BIG challenge to start off my exploration into programming. Given that I'm a complete newbie with more build errors than a builder having a bad day (bad pun!), what I'm really looking for is someone to hold my hand a bit and give me a 'janet and john' step-by-step explaination of how to do this project.

I know its asking a lot but if someone could take me under their wing? Thanks.

The project is to create an AVI media player. I need it to do much more, but this is the starting phase of the project. Language? I'm really not fussed. I know some VB and find Java difficult, also haven't used C# or C++ before, but hear that they are fast.

The play needs to be pretty slimline and only do certain things. I need a Windows form with no pull down menus. There needs to be a player timeline at the bottom of the form.

I know that a Dev C++ code snippet already exists on this site, but I couldn't get it to build in Visual Studio express C++ ed'n.

I'd want to step through the project and learn why each line of code is needed.

Once done, I need a counter to track the frame count, and for this to be stored as a variable.

Next, I need to actually use the pixels from the video, not just show it as I want to manipulate the actual video footage. Can this be done in standard libraries?

As an aside, I now have installed both the DirectX SDK and Intel's open computer vision library. Would any of these be helpful?

Finally, I need to connect the player to a pretty powerful SQL database containing vector information I will be using to alter the picels in each frame, seperately. Wish me luck! Naturally, this may have an impact on the language I use.

So that's the plan. Unfortunately, how I proceed from here is something I just don't have a clue. Not even sure which language to use.

Any helpers?

Best regards,

Matthew Bennett