zack_falcon 0 Junior Poster in Training

Hi there!

I'm an IT student, doing a final project of some sort for my college, a board game called "Game of the Generals" (something similar to Stratego).

I've done some work in C# using Visual Studio 2005, but my experience told me C# is a rather poor language to use for games. It slows down as more and more components appear on the form (and I have over 30+ buttons, labels, groupboxes and such).

So I decided to try Java, and I'm using NetBeans 7.0.1. I know only the basics of Java, and by basic, I mean I only did minor programs.

And this board game is a real step up.

From the NetBeans, I used Java Desktop Application (I don't know the difference between Java Application and Java Desktop Application) for my project. And then I'm pretty much stuck. The UI is so different. Things aren't where I'm used to seeing them. I believe some stuff are missing.

For instance, in C#, I can select my form, and resize it on the properties pane. In NetBeans, I see no such "Size" property, and neither is there any property to remove the form border, the min, max and close button.

Do I have to hard code this? If I do, how? Or is there an easier way to do this?

I know my main problem is lack of understanding in the NetBeans UI, but I'm also very new to Java and any help in the migration from C# to Java would be well appreciated.

Thanks in advance.