badllama 0 Newbie Poster

Howdy. I'm just starting to learn .NET & C# and picked a simple project to start. I'm using VS 2008, created a Windows Form that opens an XML file, puts the data into a BindingList and shoots that out to a DataGridView. I created an "add data" button that opens a new Windows form/dialog box. After entering data and pressing "ok" a new data object is created in the MainForm. That object is saved to the BindingList. The DataGridView auto-updates. It works great, for a noob project, and everything's pies and puppies.

Thing is, I need more data! The data object needs to contain a lot more than can fit on a screen. I've figured out how to hide a DataGridView column but, of course, that means I can't edit all the data.

What I'd love is to have a column with an "edit" button beside each row (which contains only the key column of the data object). That will open up the same dialog box as the "add data" form, only with fields filled in from the appropriate BindingList object, with all data filled in). I know how to fill in fields in a Form, but it's that "edit" button that perplexes me.

I've seen something similar with ASP.Net versions of C#, but can't find anything with Windows Forms. Done a lot of searching. Not sure if it's even possible. Or, if it's not possible, how to make it possible.