avidthrows 0 Newbie Poster

Hi,

I want to implement a basic license key verification system into my software. I know the basics of python and pygame, etc, but I've never read anything about implementing this type of drm into my software. Quite frankly, I don't even know where to start.

Yes, I understand that this won't keep people from pirating my software, and simply put, I could care less if they do, because no matter what drm I use it will be pirated. HOWEVER, what I want is to keep honest people, well... honest. Think of it like a key to a filing cabinet... Is it a bank vault lock? NO... It's just a key to a filing cabinet, and anyone who doesn't have a key can pretty much just lift up the locking system with a credit card and get in. However, if you're honest and you don't know whether or not you should be snooping around in there, when you find out it's locked, you'll know. But enough with this discussion on theory... moving on.

Sure, I could use an IF statement... and it would be crackable by anyone and their dog in a matter of milliseconds. I've read up on hash tables... sort of... I don't know what data/files hash, and how to implement a key system for different installs. From what I understand SHA is great.... but I have no idea where to start using it. It's this big complex tool to me, and I barely know what it does. :/

Can anyone help give me a little bit of direction on where/what to start reading?

Thanks in advance,
Matt

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.