IcEDFiRE 0 Newbie Poster

Hi All,

I am thinking of doing a security system for my B.Sc Computing & Information Systems Thesis. This system will basically monitor the file system of the user and raise an even when the user tries to create or rename a file. If the file has an extenstion that is not allowed it simply deletes the file and display a warning. It will then send a report to a central server so that the administrator can then run reports on the database. I was also going to include more details in the reports such as average memory usage and average CPU usage, what local users are on the pc and what permissions they have etc etc.

I am trying to code this in VB.NET. Does anyone know a good method of capturing the events? I tried using FileSystemWatcher but I am getting buffer overflows and it can only monitor one extenstion at a time. I thought of increasing the threads and put each extenstion in a seperate thread but that would be too expensive on the resources.

Thanks.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.