sleign 1 Light Poster

hey guys -

I'm sort of new to php5 and mysql5 but I'm pretty decent in php4 and mysql4 and thus far I've not seen that many differences.

I am, however, new to SSL technology. I am building a site for a friend and am working on the login processing page. both the login and the process login page are using ssl (I know only the processing page really needs ssl but did it on the login page just for user comfortability)

my problem is that when I compare the php hash to the hash that is in the database, they do not match. I've tried using both sha1 and md5 and they don't match for either hash type.

is ssl preventing the hashes from matching?

one thing I did notice, was that when I wrote a quick php script to insert a new user in the database, the hashes matched for both the database and the echo'd hash I had displayed after the insert script had been executed, however, as soon as I try to login using the login name and password I used when I inserted a new record, the hashes fail to match again.

all I'm doing for the password field at the moment is strip tags, and generate a hash off it - like so:

$pass = md5(strip_tags($_POST['password']));

but again - that hash comes out totally different than the md5 hash in the database.

does anyone have any ideas?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.