armyany 0 Newbie Poster

I’m researching what tools I would need to publish a weekly newsletter featuring the latest news from my industry. I was hoping an open source solution existed that could be modified to fit my needs. I’m not opposed to custom development but wanted to get advice before picking a technology path. I have enough technical knowledge to be dangerous so would appreciate help architecting a technology solution to meet my needs. I have already selected many open source packages to address other areas of my business. I plan to use SugarCRM, OpenX and JBillling for my main business applications. News aggregation is the last item I have open. Below you will see a brief outline of what I am trying to accomplish.

1) Aggregate news content from the web based on following:

a. All news headlines from user defined site list

b. Web search for daily news articles from user defined keyword list

2) Store content in local database and set field to identify how content was selected. i.e. article was stored as result of keyword match
3) Review articles and manually select which article to feature in newsletter
4) Archive articles in database for future reference
a. Data to archive

i. News feed

ii. Originating site

iii. Keyword used to find article

5) Publish RSS feed for manually selected articles
6) Send newsletter built from RSS feed to subscriber base. (My eMail provider handles this functionality once the edited RSS feed is created)

I have a solution to publish my newsletter so I only need help solving steps 1-4. Any recommendations would be appreciated! Thanks

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.