Dani,

This tutorial is entirely different.

Perhaps you should edit the old thread/tutorial to point to the new one, as it's definitely more complete. Having several threads that talk about the same thing (with different instructions) is confusing.

just my 0.02,

-k

That's just a wee bit unfair as post 204 does point you towards the lastest version.

I did all of these, but still got errors.

the links of the forums changed to name of the forums,( ex. site.com/announcements.html) but of course it is a 404 error :cry:

i have done the file edits.
i have edited my .htaccess exactly to what u wrote.

RewriteEngine on
Options +FollowSymLinks
RewriteRule ^thread([0-9]+).html$ showthread.php?t=$1 [L]
RewriteRule ^lastpostinthread([0-9]+).html$ showthread.php?goto=lastpost&t=$1 [L]
RewriteRule ^newpostinthread([0-9]+).html$ showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=$1 [L]
RewriteRule ^forum([0-9]+).html$ forumdisplay.php?f=$1 [L] 

RewriteRule ^forum-one.html$ forumdisplay.php?f=1 [L]
RewriteRule ^forum-two.html$ forumdisplay.php?f=2 [L]
RewriteRule ^forum-three.html$ forumdisplay.php?f=3 [L] 

where could i have an error? :o :?:

According to your htaccess, site.com/announcements.html will definitely return a 404.

Your htaccess only handle URLs like these:

site.com/forum-one.html
site.com/forum-two.html
site.com/forum-three.html 

as well as

site.com/forum1.html
site.com/forum2.html
site.com/forum3.html

To access your forums as site.com/f4-announcements.html (for example), replace these 4 lines :

RewriteRule ^forum([0-9]+).html$ forumdisplay.php?f=$1 [L] 

RewriteRule ^forum-one.html$ forumdisplay.php?f=1 [L] 
RewriteRule ^forum-two.html$ forumdisplay.php?f=2 [L] 
RewriteRule ^forum-three.html$ forumdisplay.php?f=3 [L]

with :

RewriteRule ^f([0-9]+)-(.*).html$ forumdisplay.php?f=$1 [L]

HTH,

-k

Look like we have an issue here.

You see, once this hack is applied, Googlebot will eventually spider each thread at least 3-4 times (url might change depending on how the hack is implemented, but the issue will remain anyway):

1. in forums, as t12345-thread-title.html
2. in archives, as threadarchive-12345.html
3. if the thread is split in several pages, the second and subsequent pages will link to the first thread as t12345-1-10.html
4. and finally as threadNext-12345.html and/or threadPrevious-12345.html

Just after implementing this hack, I went and submitted my website to google. 48h later, I noticed way more hits than I could hope for, which proves that the hack works.

BUT, after watching the indexed pages, it seems that google filtered "duplicated" pages, which is OK, but the problem is, I want google to decide that the real/original thread is t12345-thread-title.html (and not t12345-1-10.html or threadNext-12345.html), as having a title in the URL slightly boost my rank.

Proposed solution:

1. First, I went to archives and changed the "Full Thread" link to point to t12345.html, that's better, but I still need to point to t12345-thread-title.html

2. I think we should either add nofollow attribute to the original thread (ie. "1" link, in case of threads spanning several pages) or point to the original thread as t12345-thread-title.html instead of t12345-1-10.html

3. Same with threadNext/threadPrevious, either implement rel="nofollow" or use t12345-thread-title.html

Using the nofollow attribute should be avoided in this case.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. This mod looks like a cheap and fast way to increase traffic, at least in my case!

-k

SEO Report, I appreciate your suggestions. However, they are unrelated to this vB mod_rewrite tutorial. Instead, they are related to the newer one which has multipage support and such. In the future, please reply to the appropriate thread.

Everyone, you can find the thread that SEO Report is talking about here: http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/thread22840.html

nic hack

but the problem is unite 2 postings in 1
for this i must have (t=xxx) bzw. postid (p=xxx) :sad:

mfg

I'm confused what you mean.

sorry my English is very bad

i mean two postst on different place make to one post (admin + mod can that do)
two in one ;)

mfg

I am the only one with this problem? :cry:

mfg

I'm sorta confused what you're asking. Regardless, this is still the old version of the hack. There is a new version out for 3.0.7 and in the near future expect a version for 3.5 once it's officially released.

which I am to do I have now times this version inserted
and the only problem is i can not make (move) 2 postings in 1

mfg

Oh, I understand your question. You want to merge two threads, right? I think how to do that was explained already but I am not sure exactly where so let me explain. The vB merge feature only supports the REAL vB threads so when you paste the URL to merge, paste the REAL URL. For example, for thread123.html enter showthread.php?t=123 :)

nic hack

but the problem is unite 2 postings in 1
for this i must have (t=xxx) bzw. postid (p=xxx)

yes cscgal that is 100% the problem

i think something i have something forgotten

thx for the patience whit me and the info :D

mfg

No problem. Good luck.

hallo

which I must change

change

forumdisplay.php?f=20&page=6&sort=lastpost&order=&pp=25&daysprune=-1

too

forum20-6-lastpost--25--1.html

thanks
Holger

3.5 beta is out :D
will there be a new release for this hack?

i get lots of visitors from google because of this hack (/forum-name.html).

My current plans are to upgrade to vB 3.5 over the weekend and make all of my custom scripts (blogs, tutorials, etc) vB 3.5 compatible, including mod_rewrite. Once I have everything working the way I want it to here on DaniWeb, I will post a tutorial on how I did it.

Thank to all for this great hack.

I read now 220 postings and i'm almost done. Everything seems fine for me.

My only and last problem for now is:

On the Homepage of the Forum, there are links to the "LastPost".
When i hover the mouse over the link, i'm getting:

http://www.mysite.com/newpostinthread22.html

but after i click on it, i get this page:

http://www.mysite.com/post56.html#post56

and a 404 error.

So would be very nice, if one of the professionals can help me in this matter.

You can also take a look at my installation at: << url snipped >>

Thanks
Udo
(from Germany)

Hey Im currently getting this error when I click a profile

Parse error: parse error, unexpected '}' in /home/act6rso/public_html/includes/functions_online.php on line 158

also when I reply I get

Fatal error: Call to undefined function numberofpages() in /home/act6rso/public_html/newreply.php on line 247 , But it still post

any ideas? Im using the version for 3.0.7

@csgal: There is any problem with the forumjump-template. When you jump the the similiar forum you see allway in the Browser forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune...
Can you fix the problem?

i have to ask this again;
i cant upgrade my board to VB3.5 because of this hack.
Will this hack be released as VB3.5?

Hello, cscgal!

Thanks for hack! It's really great!

Does it work with vB 3.5 ?

P.S.: Sorry my english =(

Thank you for the hack, its my fav i have ever installed.

<< url snipped >>

I have done this but have a small issue, it seems to be displaying both thread urls, the html and php ones... i must have made a mistake somewhere but don't see where.

[img]http://img432.imageshack.us/img432/2985/untitled34hu.jpg[/img]

This hack is now obsolete! Pleaes visit the new version:

[thread]35147[/thread]

Can somesone upload his complete functions_online.php file? I have problems

I believe doing so violates the vBulletin terms of service to upload a complete vB php file, since vBulletin (in whole or part) is not open source or freely distributable. I would definitely check out the new version of the hack, which only requires one file edit, and takes just a minute or two to install.

Good Job!!!

Thanks.

please send me a complete functions_online.php by Personal Message, too..

thank you very much

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.