I am determined to learn assembly. However, I have stumbled upon a little confusion regarding boolean algebra. It seems that the author of the very fine documentation I have been studying hasn't explained a whole lot on boolean algebra symbols.

I am learning HLA, and I am studying it from their own documentation.

http://webster.cs.ucr.edu/AoA/DOS/ch02/CH02-1.html

The above link takes you to the website I have questions about. I think it is much more efficient and server-friendly if I link to it, instead.

The symbols near the top of the article's page I am referring to are '%' and the ones around it.

2) If you need to know why I am studying assembly, it is because I am determined to develop my own operating system, if only for my own personal use, since I am fed up with Windows.

I am not trying to get rich and stuff like that; this is simply purely education-oriented and is meant as a challenge, and fun. I'm not trying to make a kick ass OS to get rich.

I mean yeah, if it's good enough and I spend enough time on it and it turns out good enough, I might think about other things, but I am not looking that far ahead.

SO....my second question is...while that link I provided is for the DOS version of High Level Assembler that I am studying, (and this is directed toward those who are actually experienced in assembly, not someone who just messed with it) I am wondering if a different version of the HLA would be more efficient, or easier to use.

The only reason I chose the DOS version, and not the Windows or Linux versions, is because I thought the DOS version got down to a lower level, however this is simply my speculation.

The machine I am planning on testing this on is an x86 machine.

3) Is there any advice that individuals, wiser than myself, could provide me regarding creating an OS, or vital or important things I need to know?

I will not let anything discourage me. I don't care how hard anyone says it is. I have been programming since I was 6 years old in 1988 (I am 22 now). This is something I want to accomplish.

I have spent a lot of time researching assembly and stuff related to it, so any and all helpful responses will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks alot in advance for your time

- Diode
---
Mac for productivity. Unix for development. Windows for solitaire.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Member Avatar for baldrick

> The symbols near the top of the article's page I am referring to are '%' and the ones around it.

The % and # symbols appear to be symbolic and nothing else.
He later introduces the AND and OR to you using the "." and "+" to replace the % and #

In ASM you will use AND and OR in your ASM so don't worry about the % and # things.

pass.

I wish you well but even UNIX was written in C.

{guess there is nothing exciting going on in here so we are responding to old posts :D }

A few comments:

First, HLA isn't available for DOS programming. Its for Windows and Linux. Download the Windows or Linux version of 'Art of Assembly'.

Next, don't get stuck on the hardware details, boolean algebra, hex arithmatic, and all that jazz. That's just background information to help you understand what is going on inside the machine. Jump on into some actual programming examples to get a real feel for the language. You can always go back and review the hardware/boolean/whatnot if you had problems there.

Last, although AoA and HLA are good for learning, I wouldn't recommend trying to write an operating system with HLA. Try something like NASM or FASM.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.