can someone help how to develop a chat program in c. the program must run in the linux terminal and have a layout like yahoo messenger. it must have a area in which the user's can be seen, text area and an area in which one could the on going chat.

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

Let me guess, you don't know anything about C, you've never programmed before (but this app is going to be AWESUM!!!!!) and want someone to do it for you on your state of the art version of Turbo C 1.0. :icon_rolleyes:

i admit i haven't programmed on c but i can say i can understand the basic parts on language even if i haven't programmed on those. and i forgot the say the its in gnu c not turbo c.

Spend a few weeks practicing with ncurses and drawning text windows, typing in one and echoing responses in the other.

Spend a few more weeks practicing network programming with beej to the point where you can send and receive messages (to yourself).

Then you might have a go at bringing the two ideas together.

commented: Realistic goal; helpful answer. +10

what does in ncurses does? is it sort of a gui library/package/API? i'm more into java so i'm thinking that it is similar to java's AWT and SWING library. am i right?

thanks for the response btw. :)

what does in ncurses does? is it sort of a gui library/package/API? i'm more into java so i'm thinking that it is similar to java's AWT and SWING library. am i right?

thanks for the response btw. :)

Read the introduction in the link Salem posted for you.
If it doesn't satisfy you, there's always more, a few keystrokes away in your favorite search engine.

> what does in ncurses does?
What do hyperlinks and web search engines do?

> i'm more into java so i'm thinking that it is similar to java's AWT and SWING library. am i right?
Right, which is why you mentioned a terminal (aka, basic character based I/O) to begin with.
If you want that kind of interface, consider wxWidgets
Note that this isn't a link, can you still manage?

can someone help how to develop a chat program in c. the program must run in the linux terminal and have a layout like yahoo messenger. it must have a area in which the user's can be seen, text area and an area in which one could the on going chat.

U should start with Socket programing;
reffer to book "beejs guide to network programing "
u can do it with in 3 days

U should start with Socket programing;
reffer to book "beejs guide to network programing "
u can do it with in 3 days

I would question what, i think he may have problems installing a compiler on his pc let alone managing to write a simple hello world application, since he seem's to struggle with clicking and read.

Although he doesn't seem to have a problem with java, perhaps i missed something here!

Chris

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.