1.11M Members

how to compile c in windows?

does windows OS come with any built-in c compiler? without downloading any compilers can it compile c or any other language?

I would suggest MinGW. A port of the GNU gcc compiler for Windows. Actually you get more than a C compiler, you get C++, Java and Fortran as well.

If you're talking IDEs, then I would suggest Codeblocks or Eclipse - both use the MinGW toolchain.

So basically there is no built-in compiler that comes with windows OS?
by the way, whose photo is it in your avatar?

So basically there is no built-in compiler that comes with windows OS?
by the way, whose photo is it in your avatar?

As far as I know, there is no "built-in" C compiler for Windows. Just google MingGW, Codeblocks and Eclipse and you should be right.

My avatar ... well if you're a true lover of music (and I mean real music) you should know. It's a picture of the great one known as "Frank Zappa". If you appreciate FZ, you'll understand the meaning behind the user ID I use on this forum.

i think i heard the name Frank Zappa but i am not sure if have listened to him. i will limewire him when i got back home. The guy looks middle eastern that is why i asked.

The only built in compiler I remember was for BASIC, a long time ago. I do not think even that is built into the latest Windows systems. If you want to stretch the definition of 'compiler', you can write and run HTML on a fresh Windows install. :D

The reason Linux has a built in C compiler is because of the tradition for building everything from source. Windows packages are distributed as binaries, so a compiler is not needed.

i started to like Unix and Linux. Praise free software!

The only built in compiler I remember was for BASIC, a long time ago.

Yeah ... I think you're referring to GW-Basic ("Gee Wizz"). I vaguely recall writing some stuff using GW in my first "real" job.

Isn't it about time forums rewarded their contributors?

Earn rewards points for helping others. Gain kudos. Cash out. Get better answers yourself.

It's as simple as contributing editorial or replying to discussions labeled or OP Kudos

You
This article has been dead for over six months: Start a new discussion instead
Tags Related to this Article