does windows OS come with any built-in c compiler? without downloading any compilers can it compile c or any other language?

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

I would suggest MinGW. A port of the GNU gcc compiler for Windows. Actually you get more than a C compiler, you get C++, Java and Fortran as well.

If you're talking IDEs, then I would suggest Codeblocks or Eclipse - both use the MinGW toolchain.

So basically there is no built-in compiler that comes with windows OS?
by the way, whose photo is it in your avatar?

So basically there is no built-in compiler that comes with windows OS?
by the way, whose photo is it in your avatar?

As far as I know, there is no "built-in" C compiler for Windows. Just google MingGW, Codeblocks and Eclipse and you should be right.

My avatar ... well if you're a true lover of music (and I mean real music) you should know. It's a picture of the great one known as "Frank Zappa". If you appreciate FZ, you'll understand the meaning behind the user ID I use on this forum.

i think i heard the name Frank Zappa but i am not sure if have listened to him. i will limewire him when i got back home. The guy looks middle eastern that is why i asked.

The only built in compiler I remember was for BASIC, a long time ago. I do not think even that is built into the latest Windows systems. If you want to stretch the definition of 'compiler', you can write and run HTML on a fresh Windows install. :D

The reason Linux has a built in C compiler is because of the tradition for building everything from source. Windows packages are distributed as binaries, so a compiler is not needed.

i started to like Unix and Linux. Praise free software!

The only built in compiler I remember was for BASIC, a long time ago.

Yeah ... I think you're referring to GW-Basic ("Gee Wizz"). I vaguely recall writing some stuff using GW in my first "real" job.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.