Hello
I have been using c for dummies along with bloodshed software for a day or so and I tried putting this snippet of code in from the book and I got a syntax error:

#include <stdio.h>
int main()
{
char name[20];
char color[20];
printf(“What is your name?”);
scanf(“%s”,name);
printf(“What is your favorite color?”);
scanf(“%s”,color);
printf(“%s’s favorite color is %s\n”,name,color);
return(0);
}

I figured this book was up to date (2004) and up to this point the only error I got was from using () around 0 in return. But for some reason this won't compile. And I copied and pasted it too. So if there is any way I can fix this, please reply.

Thanks
vivosmith

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

The only syntax error I get with a copy/paste of your code is different characters for " than my compiler was expecting. Try the following:

#include <stdio.h>
int main()
{
    char name[20];
    char color[20];
    printf("What is your name?");
    scanf("%s",name);
    printf("What is your favorite color?");
    scanf("%s",color);
    printf("%s's favorite color is %s\n",name,color);
    return(0);
}

I think I know what I did wrong. Since the scanf is not going to put text on the page, there is no need \n on there. Thanks :)

I think I know what I did wrong. Since the scanf is not going to put text on the page, there is no need \n on there. Thanks :)

On top of not being related to your original stated problem, your original code didn't use '\n' in either scanf format string. So if the problem and code were both wildly different from reality, what kind of help were you expecting to receive? :icon_rolleyes:

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.