:rolleyes: hey, hope everyone is orite.its me first time on this site, its marvellous, everyone is so nice.
well i wanted to do my bsc computer science dissertation on the security aspect or networking/security etc..
i have been through most of the threads before but still am i havent grasp what i wanted to do.
Can anyone please help me.
thanks a lot
takecrxxxxxxxxx ;)

Recommended Answers

All 17 Replies

Member Avatar for TKSS

We could probably point you toward some resources if you let us know specifically what area of security you're going for. If you're doing a dissertation on it...you should have a very specific topic. So, buckle down, pick one...then come back and ask for some resources others might be aware of.

No one wants to do work for someone...but one can assist you in finding the answers for yourself.

The only reason I say this is because you wouldn't believe how man posts just like this one can be found here. I've even had people ask me to write their dissertation for them! Crazy crazy. Anyways...narrow it down and then ask away.

thankx alot TKS, nah am not that kind of person.
well i honestly dont have the exact title of my dissertation, we were ask to choose ourself.i wanted to do someting on the security aspect of wireless networking.
chessxxxx :o :o :) :) :) :) :)

How about analyzing the risks to homeowners when wireless networks are ubiquitous (sp?) and folks like your mother depend on them every day. What are the risks? how do you educate customers?

If it were my mother, she would have NO IDEA what the wireless network was doing. How is she expected to manage security then? If not her, who does it for her, and how do you trust that person?

Member Avatar for TKSS

Thats a good topic...you could discuss the benefits of WAP and WEP and perhaps touch on WiFi and the security protocol it will possess.

Is that really Computer Science, though? That's more Computer Networking, which is what my major was.

Shouldn't you perhaps focus on something like a comparison of two different processor architectures, or the advantages/disadvantages of one architecture's approach to computing/processing? Or, explain why you like a particular programming language.

When I think of computer science, I think of "to the metal" stuff like programming, and memory management type stuff, a little lower-level than wireless networking. It seems to me that might be the more on-topic approach to a CompSci dissertation.

Thats a good topic...you could discuss the benefits of WAP and WEP and perhaps touch on WiFi and the security protocol it will possess.

thanks a lot everyone, that sound good. but i need to do a program as well, on what exactly i can do a program?
chess

Member Avatar for TKSS

Is that really Computer Science, though? That's more Computer Networking, which is what my major was.

Shouldn't you perhaps focus on something like a comparison of two different processor architectures, or the advantages/disadvantages of one architecture's approach to computing/processing? Or, explain why you like a particular programming language.

When I think of computer science, I think of "to the metal" stuff like programming, and memory management type stuff, a little lower-level than wireless networking. It seems to me that might be the more on-topic approach to a CompSci dissertation.

Use the algorithms associated with wireless key coding and encryption and you've got your computer science.

Yes, I agree with TKS in that the dissertation could be less about how to use existing technologies, but more about exploration of new/improved technologies with code to prove/disprove/measure.

There's a tendency, IMHO, for comp sci majors to not spend much time looking at human factors of computing. Here we have a question, not about the merits of triple-DES vs RC4, but perhaps about things like how to detect when you are being attacked, how to convey that information in a reasonable (maybe even AI) way, how to defend against attacks without stopping your owner/customer from being locked out, that kind of thing.

I have never gotten a degree that requires a dissertation, but I have the impression that one gets an advisor for it who is essential to its success. I would think that one would first get an advisor and they could help identify a problem that would actually benefit from research of the appropriate nature rather than just re-wording something that has already been done.

Maybe this is more for doctoral dissertations.

(For liberal arts, forget the above and just skip to my pet theory advice below. :) )

The next step is to find out what your advisor's pet theories are and make sure your dissertation covers them nicely.

It may sound cynical, but there you go. Surely there must be professors or other graduate students in your school who can help you figure out how the process really works and what your steps should be. I shudder to think you might rely on the kid of guesswork of those who are not familiar with your school--like myself.

Hello all

I am preparing my final year project and i was given Designing and Configuring Networks with OSPF as a title and told to choose subtitle from it as this is general title.

I have Why and How DR and BDR routers elected in OSPF routing protocol in my mine as a title.

Any suggestions and more title will be very appreciated

thanks

thanks alot all of uxxxxxxxxx

This past summer, i was going to do a research project into laser communication between computers.

The project was something like this:
1. a regular radio shack laser is setup on one computer and a reciever is setup on another computer.
2. a small circuit board with radio shack components is setup to transmit and recieve the data.
3. A computer program interprets the data and does whatever you want with it.

If only i remembered what this project is called!

Hi There,

I plan to develop a prototype in .NET that measures size and downloading times for webpages and comparing them with Human Computer Interaction (HCI) designed sites.
I want to evaluate the implications of HCI design on website performance.

I am aware that there are tools currently in existance that do this, I just wanted to know if anyone can point me in the right direction so that I have more research.

Would appreciate any help!

Haych

Hi

I need some help in finding a final year dissertation project. I want to do some kind of research project in databases security. Please could you also tell me various aspects that i could research on or any other ideas associated with databases and web based projects.

Any help will be really apprieciated

Thanks
:-|

hi everyone, im new to this forum, the thing is im currently doing my final year project and i was stuggling a little bit so i wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction. For my final year project i have chosen 2 do a project that focuses on network topologies and the security issues they face. For example if the centre node is taken out of a star network the topology fails, so to this tresolve this problem i will be experimenting with protocol routers like rip, EIGRP etc.Im struggling to find information on th protocol routers and the other thing is im trying to create everything using IT GURU, i have used this software before but i havent created the topologies and router before could anyone possibly help.

hi everyone, im new to this forum, the thing is im currently doing my final year project and i was stuggling a little bit so i wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction. For my final year project i have chosen 2 do a project that focuses on network topologies and the security issues they face. For example if the centre node is taken out of a star network the topology fails, so to this tresolve this problem i will be experimenting with protocol routers like rip, EIGRP etc.Im struggling to find information on th protocol routers and the other thing is im trying to create everything using IT GURU, i have used this software before but i havent created the topologies and router before could anyone possibly help.

You have to buy router , you cannot create one.

Hi members, I want to assign access levels in the organization so that the system admin controls that withou calling me again to their site. Can someone assist

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.