Computer Organization, Computer Design, and Computer Architecture; can you tell me the difference between them with examples?

I'll quote my book for it's explanation of the three terms, which I don't understand.

Computer organization is concerned with the way the hardware components operate and the way they are connected together to form the computer system. The various components are assumed to be in place and the task is to investigate the organizational structure to verify that the computer parts operate as intended.

What are these hardware components? What are some different computer organizations?

Computer design is concerned with the hardware design of the computer. Once the computer specifications are formulated, it is the task of the designer to develop hardware for the system. Computer design is concerned with the determination of what hardware should be used and how the parts should be connected. This aspect of computer hardware is sometimes referred to as computer implementation.

Is the specification like x86, and the design like Pentium 4?
What are some example hardwares?

Computer architecture is concerned with the structure and behavior of the computer as seen by the user. It includes the information formats, the instruction set, and techniques for addressing memory. The architectural design of a computer system is concerned with the specifications of the various functional modules, such as processors and memories, and structuring them together into a computer system.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

I understand that x86 is part of PC architecture and Pentium 4 is one example of computer hardware (the parts of computer you can not attach to email:) )

The quoted excerpts are pretty clear to me. What, specifically, are you confused about?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.