Im new at programming i started learning Visual Basic today to start things off because i plan on going to college for this type of thing. I was just curious, which type of coding/language do you use to write and create Smart-phone apps in my case Blackberry apps. I know you have to pay to have them on the marketplace and what not but can you still create them for free just for the sake of practising and not release them?

Thanks in advance for any imput. new to the forum so hope it helps.

Recommended Answers

All 25 Replies

hi welcome to the forum.

since you are just starting, learn c and c++ first. these are a must learn. if u learn these then you should have no problem in learning others. JAVA and C/C++ are very similar.

also i say learn java. it is the base of JAVA ME and Android. Android is open source and there are resources available for it.

don't think there is Android for Blackberry even they are more unexisting here in Finland than Nokia in U.S.

since you are just starting, learn c and c++ first. these are a must learn. if u learn these then you should have no problem in learning others.

Really? So by learning C and C++ I'll have no trouble with LISP, or Haskell, or APL? Sure, learning C and C++ will help with picking up other Algol derivatives a bit more quickly, but that's not the only language family. Sometimes you need to make a huge conceptual leap when learning a new language, and syntax is a very minor part of that.

As for being a must learn. I fail to see why this is the case when the goal is writing smartphone apps. You'd be better off going straight to one of the languages commonly used for such apps, like C#, Java, and Objective-C, depending on which smartphone OS you're targeting. I'm a big proponent of learning C eventually simply for the insights it provides, but not to the exclusion of practicality. If it's not practical to learn C as a first language, don't force yourself.

Really? So by learning C and C++ I'll have no trouble with LISP, or Haskell, or APL? Sure, learning C and C++ will help with picking up other Algol derivatives a bit more quickly, but that's not the only language family. Sometimes you need to make a huge conceptual leap when learning a new language, and syntax is a very minor part of that.

As for being a must learn. I fail to see why this is the case when the goal is writing smartphone apps. You'd be better off going straight to one of the languages commonly used for such apps, like C#, Java, and Objective-C, depending on which smartphone OS you're targeting. I'm a big proponent of learning C eventually simply for the insights it provides, but not to the exclusion of practicality. If it's not practical to learn C as a first language, don't force yourself.

i have not learned the languages that you stated above, such as Haskell, APL, etc... and i doubt that i will learn them because i dont need to, and i doubt that i will need to.

the first language that i was taught (well had to teach myself, but not too good in it because i have not done much work in it) was matlab. then i learnt C/C++, and then PHP (on my own), assembly and then JAVA (on my own), javascript.

i do intend to learn c# one day as it is in demand where i am. i also intend to learn objective-c if i get the time.

also C derivative languages are now in demand as i see it and they should be learned, but then this is what i have experienced.

i have not learned the languages that you stated above, such as Haskell, APL, etc...

Then you really have no business making statements like "if u learn these [C and C++] then you should have no problem in learning others [implying any other language]".

Then you really have no business making statements like "if u learn these [C and C++] then you should have no problem in learning others [implying any other language]".

the fact is that if you learn c/c++ then you will not have any problem in learning languages that matter.

Languages that matter? Wow, quite an arrogant fellow, aren't you? :icon_rolleyes:

The reason that i said the languages that matter because they are the ones in demand an if on ur cv can have a good effect for ur job. A language like APL and haskell wont get me a job from where i come because nobody is working with them. It is like using screw driver to build a house, when u need a hammer.

If u want to make apps for smartphone then learn c, java, android and c#.c is used for iphone, windows phone uses c#, andriod and blackberry uses java.

Im new at programming i started learning Visual Basic today to start things off because i plan on going to college for this type of thing. I was just curious, which type of coding/language do you use to write and create Smart-phone apps in my case Blackberry apps. I know you have to pay to have them on the marketplace and what not but can you still create them for free just for the sake of practising and not release them?

All apps can generally be coded in Java and Java script. Besides Visual Basic coding is different and a simple software in visual basic can be created without any language coding.

It depends upon the OS system of smartphone, I think Symbian, Objective C# and Andriod best options for this.

commented: Symbian and Android are not computer languages, OP asked for Blackberry -3

which languages would you say have the most cross-platform utility in general? i would rather write one program that works on 5 platforms than one that works on 1 platform.

Old thread... You should create a new thread because the technology might have changed.

I think you should learn Objective C / C basically to make Iphone and Ipad softwares including their Operating Systems if you can, but when we come to Android , it's just different that Android requires Java related softwares, so you should Cram Hard on C/ Objective C and or Java and Android(related to Java) to fullfill your Goals..if you have any other plan to work on, then dont forget to preserve your C knowledge for C++ also!!!

You can develop C# code that will run on i-stuff, android and windows phone using the xamarin stuff

i think you can go to ios for developing application on i phone....and java/android for all leading smartphones...

i think you can go to ios for developing application on i phone....and java/android for all leading smartphones...

iOS isn't a language, it's a platform. Objective-C is the language that Apple has blessed for iOS development. At one point "third party languages" were disallowed, but that stance has changed. However, that doesn't mean Objective-C still isn't recommended.

Likewise, Google blesses Java for the Android OS but doesn't restrict other languages aside from it being a bit of a chore relative to Java.

I would suggest java since thats what Google Android uses. iPhone uses Objective-C (Cocoa) which is kinda like c++ and small talk. Start with java. Blackberry also uses Java but Android's programming environment is rather unique. Ive programmed in Android, not in blackberry so Im not sure how they differ.

start with the kiss technique learn liberity basic and build from there. as the language developes into java and VB learn your basics

you learn andriod

commented: since when has Android (or andriod for that matter) been a language? -3

For Windows Phone OS, you can use the Microsoft XNA. On MSXNA you can find all things about XNA. And documentatnion of XNA avaliable on MSDN.

To develop a smart phone app firstly you must know Java because in almost every phone application development code using basics of java. And android programming is also need.

commented: factually wrong -3

don't spread misinformation, melissad. Android is based on Java, true.
But iOS apps are written in Objective-C, and Windows Phone apps in C#.
Symbian was also based on Java, but that one's nearly dead. Blackberry I'm not sure what they use, but they're ever more a fringe market also, even in the corporate universe.

for blackberry app and android app you should know jave

JAVA language should i learn to make smartphone apps?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.