Hello i have two questions
I have vector that I have delete several members from it after I do it I have a problem to access other member because index if other members has changed. What is the best way to know and access the members of the vector after the deletion?

for(int i = 0;i< foo();++i)
int foo()

Does foo function calculated every time that loop is initialized?
Thank you in advance

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Hi,

1)
The best way is for you NOT to depend on the order of the object in the vector;
If you ABSOLUTELY MUST depend on their order, keep pointers to object in the vector and delete the object + replace it in the vector with NULL; that is, don't delete the actual vector location, just the object in it. That will make the other object stay in the same position.

2)
Assuming you have:

int foo(){...}
    // ...
    for(int i = 0;i< foo();++i)
    {
        // some stuff
    }
    // ...

Then the foo() function will get evaluated for EVERY loop, NOT just at the initialization stage.

First off : The point of a vector is to know the order (otherwize use a set or list etc) .

Second : if you have a vector of pointer either :
(a) consider an autoptr/boost::shared_ptr [prefered] and just delete the element with a remove_if and then an erase e.g

std::vector<boost::shared_ptr<Obj> > Vec;
// ... populate etc
std::vector<boost::shared_ptr<Obj> >::iterator ec=
   remove_if(Vec.begin(),Vec.end(),
		boost::bind(&Vec:requiresDel,_1));
  Vec.erase(ec,Vec.end());

Now you might have a deletion that is more complex or depends on the index number. then try this:

std::vector<Obj*> Vec;
// ... populate here.
for(long int i=Vec.size()-1;i>=0;i--)
  {  
     if ( delRequied(Vec[i]) )
        {
           delete Vec[i]; 
           Vec.erase(Vec.begin()+i);
        }
  }

Note:
Normally I use size_t not long int but that has lead to confusion in the past.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.