I just finished installing Fedora 11 on my 64-bit Vista computer (dual boot) and see that it does not include gcc or g++. I looked on gnu.org, found something that described the gcc compiler package (briefly) but no links to where to download the binaries.

Anyone have links to it?

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

I just finished installing Fedora 11 on my 64-bit Vista computer (dual boot) and see that it does not include gcc or g++. I looked on gnu.org, found something that described the gcc compiler package (briefly) but no links to where to download the binaries.

Anyone have links to it?

I have Fedora 10 and it's not a dual-boot, but I imagine it's the same. Have you checked System --> Administration --> Add Remove Software? gcc would be in the "Programming" subsection.

On Fedora 10, once there, you can just type gcc into the search box and all of the packages with gcc come up, it shows you which are already installed and which aren't, then you click and unclick boxes to download/install or uninstall the packages.

gcc and programs like emacs don't come with the default install when you install it. You have to select it, but you can do that at the initial install by clicking "Customize Now" or do it later by adding/subtracting packages with the Software Updater. I imagine Fedora 11 is pretty much like Fedora 10 and it's the same procedure.

Thanks -- I finally got it installed. Someone at forums.fedoraforum.org told me to use this command: yum install gcc gcc-c++ make

commented: You naughty cross-poster ! :P +21

It's been a while since I've used fedora, but you might also need to install yum install libstdc++6 or for 64bit yum install lib64stdc++6 . I'm not sure if fedora installs them by default, although yum is pretty good in solving dependencies etc. So I'm not really sure...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.