Hello everyone,

I recently wrote a very large program in Borland C++ (version 4) that implements a lot of linked lists. For many reasons I am now obliged to migrate to Dev C++, but when I run my software I get a "Access violation (segmentation fault)" error. This happens whenever the program steps into a code portion that creates a linked list (it usually (but not always) happens when the first linked list is being created). The program worked perfectly under Borland Builder 4. So I am wondering if there is an inherent problem with linked list in Dev C++ that I am unaware of (a check on Google reveals no bug concern on this matter). Could the error lie in the way I create linked lists:

struct llnode{
    llnode *next;
};

llnode *llstart = NULL;
llnode *lltemp;
llnode *lltemp2;

void main(void)
{
   if(llstart == NULL)
   {
     lltemp = new(llnode);
         .... //fill it with my information
     lltemp->next = NULL;
     llstart = lltemp;
   }
}

//when I need to add other nodes
void AddNode()
{
   lltemp = new(llnode);
      ....//add information
   lltemp->next = NULL;

llnode2 = llstart;

while(lltemp2 ->next != NULL)
   {lltemp2 = lltemp2->next;}

lltemp2->next = lltemp;
}

I know the above works in Borland C++ version 4, but is it an obsolete way which makes more recent compiler go crazy?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Post some complete code that breaks under Dev-C++. It looks like you wrote what you think is the same thing as the relevant parts of the program, but since the code you posted won't compile even after removing the .... parts and adding necessary headers.

And rule #1 when your code works on one compiler but not another: It's almost always your fault. You would do better to assume that your code is wrong rather than an inherent problem with the compiler.

i can see only one error in main function. in dev-cpp it shouldn't be void but int

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.