Does anyone know if there are any issues in using the basic ODBC Api for database access on 64 bit Windows Vista/7 systems? This has been my preferred database access technology for a long time, and I'd prefer not moving to ADO or something else if I don't have to. It'll probably be more than a year before my organization moves off 32 bit XP, but I'm kind of looking ahead. For that matter, I don't even know if ODBC was ported (if that's the right word) to 64 bit. Anyone know about this or have some links?

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

64-bit memory addressing enables applications to store large data sets entirely in memory. This eliminates the performance penalty associated with swapping portions of the data in and out to disk

Yea, that's great ... until the lights go out unexpectently :) But that wouldn't matter if the database is read-only anyway, or immediately saves changes to disk on updates.

Otherwise that was an excellent article.

Yea, that's great ... until the lights go out unexpectently :) But that wouldn't matter if the database is read-only anyway, or immediately saves changes to disk on updates.

Otherwise that was an excellent article.

I did some reading up on Office 2010 which apparently has the 32 bit & 64 bit bundled together, and the default installation is 32 bit which is somehow jerry rigged to supposedly have the same limits as the 64 bit (don't know how that could be?) so why install the 64 bit, as the 64 bit has some compatibility problems with 32 bit apps so that's why the default installation is 32 bit, but you can install the 64 bit if you want, etc......

yea, I'm confused too!!!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.