I was trying out a 2-dimensional integer array on a UNIX box. I hit up a 'Segmentation Fault' on trying to run it.

#include <iostream>
#include <cstdlib>
using namespace std;

int main() {
	int matrix[2000][2000];
	int i, j;
	srand ( 1 );
	for (i=0; i<2000; i++) {
		for (j=0; j<2000; j++) {
		matrix[i][j] = rand() %1000;
		}
	}
        return 0;
}

But If I use an array of 10x10, everything seems to work properly. I was thinking of this : 'Did I hit up on the limit of the integer array?'

Do I need to use some other datatype? Uh, double/long/something of this sort ? I need to replicate a 2000x2000 matrix...

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

EDIT:

It looks like the problems' not with the data-type, rather, it's with the way the random numbers are getting generated :)

NEW EDIT:

Turns out I was wrong. I'm thinking the datatype has overrun somehow when trying to simulate a 2000x2000 matrix.

I have seen this problem before of large arrays on stack.

Just declare it as a global.

commented: I didn't even think of the stack! +1

Looks like you may have blown your stack. Your compiler probably sets an initial stack size which your array size exceeds. You should check you compilers linker settings to look for stack size settings and experiment with these until you find a size which works.

commented: Stacks' where my problem is! +1

I have seen this problem before of large arrays on stack.

Just declare it as a global.

Looks like you may have blown your stack. Your compiler probably sets an initial stack size which your array size exceeds. You should check you compilers linker settings to look for stack size settings and experiment with these until you find a size which works.

Thanks for the view guys. I'll let you know my progress ;)

Thanks for the view guys. I'll let you know my progress ;)

nae woz. vote up useful info.

Defined my array globally and it worked! :)

Kudos to ya guys!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.