For the past 12 years I've lived in mortal, cowering, abject fear of one particular feature of the Visual Studio 6 C/C++ IDE, and that is the 'Find' feature on the 'Edit' menu where you can fill in the textbox to find a symbol in your file, and then click the button to 'Mark All'. The IDE then finds the symbols and puts kind of an aqua-marine colored circle next to each found occurance in the left text editor margin. What I've never been able to figure out is how to remove these colored circles once one is through with them. I've tried to solve this riddle countless times and always fail. What I find I must do is copy the files to somewhere else, completely delete the whole project, then recreate it and add the files back. Unbelievable, I know. Today I did the unthinkable, and used this feature. I spent a half hour trying to figure it out and finally gave up in the hope someone here knows the magic combination. Otherwise its there permanently unless I delete the project. I fully realize this is completely ridiculous, but I've gotta tell you, I've no idea how to do this.

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

I don't know if VS2005 is the same, but in VS2008 you can go to Edit->Bookmarks->Clear Bookmarks to get rid of them.

Thanks for the input Fbody. Apparently VC6 isn't the same. I tried that. When I go to

Edit >> Bookmarks

I get an empty dialog because the IDE doesn't consider these things as bookmarks I guess. I have VS2008 and CodeBlocks and other newer editors I use, but would you believe I never, ever use either this marking feature or bookmarks because of the fear of this feature burned into my psyche through the old VC6 IDE!!!!

Anyone have a clue how to remove them?

Is there any sort of "Clear"-style button in your Find dialog, or perhaps the advanced version of it?

Is there any sort of "Clear"-style button in your Find dialog, or perhaps the advanced version of it?

No, nothing like that. I've looked pretty hard for anything. Unbelievable, isn't it?

By the way, I discovered they can be made to go away by just closing the IDE and then reopening the workspace/project. No need to delete the project like I said. That's about the easiest thing to do.

I'll check out those links now...

From the VS 6 Help menu, select Keyboard Map and then Edit instead of 'bound commands',
that'll display the commands/bindings you want.

Well, that did it. I never checked out that selection on the Help menu. That's a real eye opener. There appear to be several million keyboard shortcuts. I wonder if anyone knows them all? Anyway, the magic combination was 'Ctrl Shift F2' -'Bookmark Clear All'. Thank you Mitrmkar, Fbody, and kes166. Now begins a long period of healing of my damaged psyche. Perhaps in the fullness of time I'll be able to use the...

Edit >> Find >> Mark All

menu selection without my fingers, hands and arms locking up in painful spasms as mortal fear grips me.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.