Member Avatar
becool007
Newbie Poster
24 posts since Oct 2009
Reputation Points: 0 [?]
Q&As Helped to Solve: 0 [?]
Skill Endorsements: 0 [?]

Hello DaniWeb :)

For very long I've wanted to develop and venture into the Win32 API and make programs like I find on the internet. Show the world my creativity. I made a simple calculator with a GUI and Menu bar from scratch. I was proud but I was shattered when I found out that, to redistribute it and show my friends, I had to get them to download .NET framework...

I have Visual Studio 2010 and I've been struggling to disable the use of .NET. Even when I start from scratch for some wierd reason the program's I create still require .NET... Any suggestions ?

Thanks Alot Guys :)
------- Side Note -------
Reason for sticking with VS is that I really like flashy IDE's and a generic utility to give me realtime information. Like In Java you have Netbeans that gives you java documentations as you program your applications.

Member Avatar
nmaillet
Posting Pro
535 posts since Aug 2008
Reputation Points: 97 [?]
Q&As Helped to Solve: 106 [?]
Skill Endorsements: 7 [?]

Right-click on your project in solution explorer and click Properties. Under Configuration Properties --> Common Language Runtime Support, ensure it is set to No Common Language Runtime Support.

When creating a new project, under Visual C++, select Win32 and then select either Win32 Console Application or Win32 Project.

Just to be sure, what are your friends installing to run it? They will require the VisualC++ Redistributable Package, as it contains libraries that they use. They should not however, require the full .NET Framework.

Member Avatar
Frederick2
Posting Whiz
330 posts since Jul 2008
Reputation Points: 189 [?]
Q&As Helped to Solve: 31 [?]
Skill Endorsements: 0 [?]

I commend you for your interest in Win32 becool. Its how I like to code. You really do have to pay close attention to project setup issues using Visual Studio simply because its so complex and sophisticated. I prsonally prefer using simpler lighter weight tools, but that is simply a personal preference.

Like you were told, you need to set up a Win32 project with no framework support. Carefully check out all the options available when setting up a project. Investigate all the screens. Also, when you have it set up, check out all the options in the 'Project Properties' screens. I know there are a lot of them. I don't have VS 2010 but rather VS 2008 Pro, and with that I can tell Visual Studio to statically link with the C Runtime so that I don't need any other support files for my program to run. A basic Win32 Gui (Hello, World! type) should come in around 8 or 10 K or so, and it should run without any redistributable, as it will only be linking with user, gdi, and kernel. And you should be able to distribute that 'as is'. At least I can with exes produced by VS 2008.

You
This article has been dead for over three months: Start a new discussion instead
View similar articles that have also been tagged: