Hey,

I have a set of types which are all arithmetic (have operators for addition, subtraction, multiplication, etc.). I want to aggregate any number of them into a single object, so I'm using the std::tuple class template and the <tuple> library (and Boost.Tuple for backward compatibility).

My question is a bit of a shot in the dark: Has anyone heard or seen a tuple-like class template that implements all the arithmetic operators?

For example, the std::tuple and boost::tuple classes both implement all the comparison operators which will only compile correctly if all the types contained in the tuple also have the comparison operators in question. I am wondering why there aren't the same provisions for the arithmetic operators?

I could easily implement this myself (but it can amount to a bit of trouble especially for backward compatibility with C++03), but I'm just wondering if anyone heard of one "arithmetic tuple" template that exists already.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Thanks for the reply vijayan, but my question is about tuples of heterogeneous types, not vector-like classes like vararray or TinyVector or many others of the kind.

Here is a more specific example of my problem. Say, I have a bunch of "state-space system" types each with some typedef for the type that represents the state-vector (doesn't have to be a vector), but they are all arithmetic (have + - -= += operators and a few more, like scalar multiplication). Say I have this code (very simplified):

template <typename SystemType>
struct system_traits {
  //..
  typedef typename SystemType::state_diff_type state_diff_type;
  //..
};

//Now, I want to combine many systems together, and for that I need to make composite state descriptors that are also arithmetic:
template <typename... Systems>
struct composite_system {
  //..
  typedef std::tuple< typename system_traits<Systems>::state_diff_type... > state_diff_type;
  //..
};

//Now, I have a concept-check class:
template <typename System>
struct StateSpaceSystemConcept {
  //..
  typename system_traits< System >::state_diff_type dx;

BOOST_CONCEPT_USAGE(StateSpaceSystemConcept)
  {
    //..
    dx = dx + dx; 
    dx += dx;
    dx -= dx; 
    //.. etc..
  };
};

int main() {
  BOOST_CONCEPT_ASSERT((StateSpaceSystemConcept< composite_system< SystemA, SystemB, SystemA> >));
  //   ERROR: no operator+ for type std::tuple<..> 
  //    .. and so on for other operators.
};

As I said, I can pretty easily write a wrapper for the tuple type to add all those operators, but I was wondering if that didn't exist already and for that matter, why it is not in the std::tuple or boost::tuples::tuple class since other operators are already defined (comparison).

> why it is not in the std::tuple or boost::tuples::tuple class since other operators are already defined (comparison).

IIRC, there was a suggestion to overload the + operator for std::tuple<>. Not for element by element arithmetic plus, but for concatenation of tuples a la std::string.

There would be a similar ambiguity in the case of operator- (element by element minus or symmetric difference?), operator* ( element by element multiply, vector cross product or scalar dot product?).

IMHO, it was best that none of these operators were overloaded by the standard.

> why it is not in the std::tuple or boost::tuples::tuple class since other operators are already defined (comparison).

IIRC, there was a suggestion to overload the + operator for std::tuple<>. Not for element by element arithmetic plus, but for concatenation of tuples a la std::string.

There would be a similar ambiguity in the case of operator- (element by element minus or symmetric difference?), operator* ( element by element multiply, vector cross product or scalar dot product?).

IMHO, it was best that none of these operators were overloaded by the standard.

That makes sense. I understand the ambiguity.

I ended up implementing my own. If anyone is interested or find his way to this thread looking for an arithmetic-tuple class template, I have attached it to this post. My implementation is compatible with both C++11 and C++03 (using Boost Tuples), and I provide it, as is, with no guarantee, of course. Any review or comments on it is welcomed, of course.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.