I have developed some simulations in C++ in the old Borland 3.0 version. They involve only simple mathematics. I need to develop some graphics for them. I need to display different moving images simultaneously. Say, three graphics windows at the same time. I am familiar with the BGI library. However, BGI code does not work well on new machines. Or is there any conventional compiler and IDE which will work on windows systems? I prefer to stick to conventional syntax. What C++ IDE should I use? Will I have to switch to Visual C++.

Some experts suggested me Visual C++. I saw a lot of MFC applications in Visual Studio. Should I use them? Or should I go for the Windows console applications? If I use MFC's, is an additional graphics package still required (say SFML)? If it is worth the trouble, I am ready to switch. Can I achieve in MFC the programming that I did in Old Borland.

WinBGIm is a graphics add-on, right? What C++ compiler and do I use it with; and where can i get it? My OS are Windows XP &7.

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

I use Dev C++ , it works cool)

I've been doing "desktop application" programming almost forever, it feels like. For the past couple years, using the Qt framework (http://qt.nokia.com/, not Apple's QuickTime library). It may be a bit hard to come up to speed on initially, but it nicely handles more complex aspects of GUI design, including managing multiple windows and inserting images. It incorporates substantial drawing support, and even CSS notation for GUI element styling. Plus a robust communications paradigm between objects, called "signals and slots", rather than the more traditional C-like "register a callback function" paradigm.

I've specifically been programming in Python and the PyQt bindings from Riverfront Computing, but it's very close to the C++ API, and I've dug through various parts of the Qt C++ source code as well.

As far as IDE, Visual Studio is pretty much the accepted gold standard on Windows. You can download and use Visual Studio Express for free, and purchase the Professional version later, if you find you need the additional functionality.

Those suggestions helped.

If you are developing for Windows, you'll be using the Visual Studio whatever. But if you are developing app that doesn't needs OS specs much I advise CodeBlocks instead of DevC++.

And for graphics and mathematic; I advise OpenGL which is very powerfull and simple espacialy for 2D graphics programming.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.